1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces and friction

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 6 kg object sits on a horizontal surface with coefficient of friction = .8. What is the minimum force (not necessarily horizontal) necessary to make the object slide?

2. Relevant equations
    fr = u * N
    where fr = the friction force
    u = coefficient of friction
    N = the normal force

3. The attempt at a solution
    I knew there was something more to this problem- In lecture, my prof talked about a "magic" angle theta in the positive x and positive y direction that would take the least amount of force to move an object is one was pulling on the object at said "magic" angle. Since no value was mentioned, I assume the angle varies with the mass and the force being applied to the object.

As usual for me, I have an apparently sound free body diagram, apparently sound equations, and too many unknowns. I have normal force N, force of gravity mg, friction force fr, and the force on the object F.

Fnet,x = F cos theta - fr = ma
    (my prof doesn't believe in the difference between Fk and Fs (static and kinetic friction) so when a = 0 is when the minimum force is being exerted to make the block move)
    Fnet,x = F cos theta = fr
    Fnet,y = N - mg + F sin theta = ma
    acceleration is zero in the y direction so:
    F sin theta = mg - N

I can sub in u * N for fr and set tan theta equal to (mg - N) / (u * N), but I don't know N or theta and I'm trying to get to F.

Am I approaching these problems wrong or do I just keep getting lost along the way? I feel like I keep getting stuck in the same places.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me, so far.

Eliminate N. Solve for F in terms of theta.

These are tricky. You're doing fine. Keep playing with it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook