Gas Expansion and Compression: Solving for Volume and Pressure Changes

• Thread starter Ronaldo95163
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces Gas
In summary, the conversation discusses how a cylinder with a volume of 0.5m^3 can inflate a balloon with a volume of 5m^3. The person suggests using Boyle's Law, but questions if it is valid due to the difference in volumes between the cylinder and balloon. Another person points out that gases can be stored at high pressure in metal cylinders, but the first person still questions how the balloon can inflate to 5m^3. They then discuss the pressure and material of the balloon, and how Boyle's Law explains the relationship between pressure and volume. The final question asks if the work done by the balloon is equal to the work done by the gas in the cylinder.
Ronaldo95163
The first two are the forces questions with my attempt at them...however I don't have the solutions for them and I wanted to know if what I did was correct.

wrt to the gas questions I'm referring to part e

How can a cylinder with only 0.5m^3 fill a balloon to 5m^3

what I was going to do was use the equation for Boyle's law which is V1P1 = V2P2 and use V2 as difference between the volume in the cylinder and the balloon but seeing that the volume in the cylinder is smaller I started questioning that method... :/

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 340
Physics news on Phys.org
Ronaldo95163 said:
How can a cylinder with only 0.5m^3 fill a balloon to 5m^3

what I was going to do was use the equation for Boyle's law which is V1P1 = V2P2 and use V2 as difference between the volume in the cylinder and the balloon but seeing that the volume in the cylinder is smaller I started questioning that method... :/

Why? Don't you realize that gases can be stored at very high pressure in metal cylinders?

But if the cylinder has a volume of 0.5m^3 how can it inflate an empty balloon to 5m^3?

Is the pressure in the balloon after it is inflated equal to the pressure of the gas in the cylinder?

The question didn't say...only thing that was the same was the temperature

Think. Is it reasonable to assume that a balloon could withstand being at the same pressure as a gas in a metal cylinder? Why wouldn't gases be stored in balloons instead of metal cylinders?

No
The material of the balloon would expand past its elastic limit and it would burst

still not getting it :/

Go back and ponder Boyle's Law some more. What happens to the volume of a gas originally kept at a high pressure if the pressure is reduced?

The volume increases

would the work done by the balloon be equal to the work done by the gas in the metal cylinder??

so

(VΔP) of balloon = V(P2-P1) of the cylinder

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a force and a gas?

A force is a push or pull that acts on an object, causing it to accelerate. A gas, on the other hand, is a state of matter that has no definite shape or volume and is made up of particles that move freely and randomly.

2. How do forces affect gases?

Forces can affect gases by causing them to compress, expand, or change direction. For example, a force can compress a gas by reducing its volume, or it can cause a gas to expand by increasing its volume. Forces can also cause gases to flow or change direction, as seen in wind or air currents.

3. What are the main types of forces that act on gases?

The main types of forces that act on gases are pressure, gravity, and surface tension. Pressure is the force exerted by a gas on its container or surroundings. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other, and it is responsible for holding gases in the Earth's atmosphere. Surface tension is the force that allows liquids to form droplets or hold their shape.

4. How are gases affected by changes in temperature and pressure?

Gases are greatly affected by changes in temperature and pressure. As temperature increases, the particles in a gas gain more kinetic energy and move faster, increasing the pressure of the gas. As pressure increases, the volume of a gas decreases, and the particles become more closely packed together.

5. What are some real-world applications of forces and gases?

Forces and gases play a crucial role in many everyday activities and industries. For example, understanding gas pressure and flow is essential in designing and operating HVAC systems, engines, and pipelines. Forces also play a significant role in aerodynamics and the production of various gases, such as oxygen and nitrogen, in industrial processes.