Forces and getting acceleration of two objects

In summary, the problem involves two objects attached by a massless string and a frictionless pulley. One object with a mass of 5kg is hanging vertically while the other, with a mass of 10kg, is on an incline at a 30 degree angle with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction on the incline is 0.205 and the goal is to find the acceleration. To solve the problem, the forces in the y direction for object 1 were calculated to be mg-T=ma, and the forces in the x direction for object 2 were calculated to be T+mgsin30-friction=ma. By equating the two equations, the acceleration was determined to be correct, assuming the
madinsane
Okay so their are two objects attached together by a massless string and a frictionless pulley. One of them is hanging vertically with mass 5kg the other one is on an incline that makes a 30 degrees angle with the horizontal and is of mass 10 the coefficient of kinetic friction of the incline on the object is 0.205 an they are asking us to get the acceleration

For my solution
I got the total forces in the y direction for object 1 to be mg-T=ma
So (5)(9.8) -T=5a
So T=-5a+(5)(9.8)

For the second I got total f in x as
T+mgsin30-friction=ma
T+(10)(9.8)sin30-(10)(9.8)cos(30)(0.205)=10a
Then I equated the two equations and got a
Is my method cOrrect[/QUOTE]

Physics news on Phys.org
hi madinsane! :smile:
madinsane said:
Is my method cOrrect
if the incline is downhill, then yes :smile:

(if it was uphill, of course, you'd need minus mgsin30°)

tiny-tim said:
hi madinsane! :smile:

if the incline is downhill, then yes :smile:

(if it was uphill, of course, you'd need minus mgsin30°)

thanks, yes it was downhill :)

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to change its motion or shape.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N) using a device called a spring scale or force meter.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity, either by speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

4. How do forces affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simple terms, the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration, and the greater the mass, the smaller the acceleration.

5. How do you calculate the acceleration of two objects?

To calculate the acceleration of two objects, you need to know the net force acting on each object and their respective masses. Then, you can use the formula a = F/m, where "a" is acceleration, "F" is the net force, and "m" is the mass of the object. This will give you the acceleration of each object separately. To find the overall acceleration of both objects together, you can use the formula a = (F1 + F2)/(m1 + m2).