Forces and Hills: Calculating Force of 1967 Corvette on a 17.5° incline

• Thread starter moondawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the force of a 1967 Corvette on a 17.5° incline can be calculated using the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline. The mass of the car can be found in the car's manual or by using a scale specifically designed to weigh cars, or by using the average mass of a 1967 Corvette. The acceleration due to gravity, denoted by the symbol g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s². To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula θ (in radians) = θ (in degrees)
moondawg

Homework Statement

Certain streets in San Francisco mane an angle of 17.5 degrees with the horizontal. What force is required to keep a loaded 1967 Corvette of mass 1390kg from rolling down such a street?

Homework Equations

fcosx
fsinx

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew my free body diagran and then broke it into components, Fx and Fy. I got the force to be 4096.2N. I feel like I am missing a step. Can someone please check my work!

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 4.1 kN as well. Looks like you did the problem correctly.

What is the force of a 1967 Corvette on a 17.5° incline?

The force of the car is dependent on several factors such as its mass, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity. To calculate the force, you can use the formula: F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

How do I determine the mass of a 1967 Corvette?

The mass of the car can be found in the car's manual or by using a scale specifically designed to weigh cars. Alternatively, you can use the average mass of a 1967 Corvette, which is around 3,300 pounds.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted by the symbol g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s². This means that for every second an object is falling, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.

How do I convert degrees to radians?

To convert degrees to radians, you can use the formula: θ (in radians) = θ (in degrees) x π/180. For example, to convert 17.5° to radians, you would multiply it by π/180, giving you a value of approximately 0.305 radians.

What is the significance of calculating the force of a car on an incline?

Calculating the force of a car on an incline can help determine the amount of force needed to move the car, as well as the amount of friction that needs to be overcome. This information can be useful in designing and constructing roads, as well as in understanding the mechanics of driving up a hill.