Forces and Kinematics Problem - Am I right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the coefficient of friction between a 25kg sled and snow, given that it is pulled at a steady speed by a rope inclined at 40 degrees. The equation F = uR (maximal frictional force) is used to determine the coefficient of friction, which is found to be 0.98. The conversation also includes a correction to use 40 degrees instead of 50 degrees in the calculations and a clarification on the negative sign indicating the opposite direction of the pulling force. Overall, the conversation provides a step-by-step explanation of the calculation process for determining the coefficient of friction.
blockitoff
Can someone tell me if I'm right? 0.98 seems a bit high for the coefficient of friction?

A 25kg sled is pulled at a steady 1.3 m/s by a rope inclined 40 degrees above horizontal. If the pulling force is 26.7 N, what is the coefficient of friction between the sled runners and the snow?

m = 25 kg, v = 1.3 m/s, Fp = 26.7 N, mgcos40 = Fn = 187.7 N,

Ftotal = ma (Ftotal = 0 because of no acceleration).
Fp + mgsin40 - Ff = 0,
26.7 + 157.5 = Ff, Ff = 184.2.

u = Ff/Fn = 184.2/187.7 = 0.98.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using g as 9.8 I got 0.697(3sf)

Can you please post your work? :rofl:

[tex]F= \mu R
\\
\mu R + 25gcos50=26.7
\\
\mu 25gsin50=26.7 - 25gcos50
\\
\mu = \frac{26.7-25gcos50}{25gsin50}
\\
\mu = 0.697[/tex]
Sorry it took my a while to sought out the LaTex. lol :blushing: I just wanted you to know I was workin on it.

Last edited:
I don't understand that very much. what's muRmuR? like...lol

Sorry, I'm having a lot of trouble and that whole long equation just confused me more.

it shouldn't come out like that. I'm jus correcting it. I Hate Latex

ok cause i don't know where you got all the numbers from

[tex]F= \mu R[/tex]
[tex]\mu R + 25gcos50=26.7[/tex]
[tex]\mu 25gsin50=26.7 - 25gcos50[/tex]
[tex]\mu = \frac{26.7-25gcos50}{25gsin50}[/tex]
[tex]\mu = 0.697[/tex]
I've tried to lay it out better

R is the normal force?

by the way, thank you for helping me along so much so far :)

No worries. Yeah, R is the normal reaction. mu is the co-effiecent of friction.

you used 50 degrees as the angle. it's 40 though? :\

cos50=sin40.

[tex]F= \mu R[/tex] is the equation for maximal frictional force.

numerically, that's correct. but i don't understand that concept at all. can you demonstrate it with 40 degrees? i apologize for being so lost :(

F = uR is, yes.

Okay. Have you drawn a diagram with the slope and all the forces acting?

F(total) = ma

F(total) = 0

F(normal) = (m)(g)(cos40) = (25)(9.8)(cos40) = 187.7

F(pulling) - F(friction) + 25(9.8)(sin40) = 0

26.7 + 25(9.8)(sin40) = F(friction)

26.7 + 157.5 = F(friction)

184.2 = F(friction)

F(friction) = F(normal) * mu

mu = F(friction)/F(normal) = 184.2/187.7 = 0.98

The coefficient of friction equals 0.98.

Yes, I drew a free body diagram.

blockitoff said:
F(total) = ma
F(pulling) - F(friction) + 25(9.8)(sin40) = 0
Third line down. it should read: F(pulling)-F(Friction)-25(9.8)(sin40)=0 because the component of the weight it acting in the opposite direction to the pulling force.

oh i see! let me work it out real quick :)

Sorry I didnt spot it earlier!

F(total) = ma

F(total) = 0

F(normal) = (m)(g)(cos40) = (25)(9.8)(cos40) = 187.7

F(pulling) - F(friction) - 25(9.8)(sin40) = 0

26.7 - 25(9.8)(sin40) = F(friction)

26.7 - 157.5 = F(friction)

-130.8 = F(friction)

F(friction) = F(normal) * mu

mu = F(friction)/F(normal) = -130.8/187.7 = -0.697

Ok I got it! MY ONLY QUESTION that remains is how did I know to just make -0.697 positive to be 0.697?

The co-efficent of fiction is always greater than or equal to zero. The negative sign just indicates that it acts in the opposite direction to the pulling force which we decided was positive. You would have got a positive answer if we took the frictional force and weight to be positive with the pulling force being negative. Always give a positive answer for co-effiecent of friction as it is dimensionless (i.e. is scalar because ithas no direction).

Right, because it can only range between 0 and 1. 0 is like slippery ice with no friction, and 1 is like extremely rough surface. But you explained it perfectly. THANK YOU!

1. What is the difference between a force and a kinematic problem?

A force problem involves calculating the effects of various forces on an object, such as its acceleration, velocity, or position. A kinematic problem, on the other hand, involves using equations to describe the motion of an object without considering the causes of that motion.

2. How do you approach a forces and kinematics problem?

First, identify all the known and unknown variables in the problem. Then, use relevant equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion, to solve for the unknown variables. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use free body diagrams to visualize the problem.

3. Can forces and kinematics problems be solved without using equations?

No, equations are necessary to solve forces and kinematics problems. These equations are based on fundamental physical principles and must be used to accurately describe and solve the problem.

4. How do you know if your answer to a forces and kinematics problem is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also compare your answer to the expected result or use common sense to determine if it is reasonable.

5. Can forces and kinematics problems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, forces and kinematics problems can be applied to real-world situations. These problems are often used in engineering and physics to analyze and understand the motion of objects in the world around us.