1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces and Motion Question

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A skier skiing downhill reachers the bottom of a hollow with a velocity of 20 m/s, and then coasts up a hill with a 10 degree slope (@). If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.10, how far up the slope will she travel before she stops?

2. Relevant equations

Fg=mg
    Ff= uFn
    Fslope = (m)(g)(sin @)
    Fn = (m)(g)(cos @)
    v2^2= v1^2 + 2ad

How would you solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would use conservation of energy. The initial kinetic energy of the skier is equal to the sum of the gravitational potential energy she gains going up the hill plus the work done in overcoming the frictional force travelling up the hill. Can you write down an expression for each of these three energies?

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3
    This question was written assuming we know nothing about the law of conservation of energy. There must be a way to solve it by using only equations related to forces and motion.

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. So force acting on the skier parallel to the slope is your Ff+Fslope. That should let you find the acceleration parallel to the slope. Put that into your last equation with a final velocity of zero.

6. Mar 29, 2007 #5
    The problem is that NO MASS is given. So I can't solve for any of those values.

7. Mar 29, 2007 #6
    don't need mass as it cancels out. say the slope is 0,

ma=N*mu =mg*mu a=g*mu

8. Mar 29, 2007 #7
    I'm sorry I didn't quite understand what you wrote there.

9. Mar 29, 2007 #8
    just that the mass cancels. sum forces=ma=Normal force*frictional coefficient
    Normal=-mg so a=-g*friction coeff. this is for a slope of 0, but the masses will all cancel in any event.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?