Forces and Newton's Laws with vectors help

In summary, the question is asking to add two forces of 60N and 30N acting on an object at point P at various angles. To find the magnitude of the resultant, the Law of Cosines can be used. When the angle between the two forces is 0°, the resultant is the sum of the two forces. For angles of 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°, the Law of Cosines can be used to find the magnitude of the resultant.
delfam

Homework Statement

One force of 60N and a second of 30N act on an object at point P. Graphically add the vectors and find the magnitude of the resultant when the angle between them is as follows.

a. 0 b. 30 c. 45 d. 60 e. 90 f. 180

Homework Equations

A-Sin A = B/Sin B = C/ Sin C
pythagorean theorum
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

A force is a vector. [magnitude,direction]

The question is basically asking you to add vectors.

When 2 vectors are in the same direction then of course you just add the magnitudes and the result is the sum in the same direction.

That's a) your 0° answer directly.

b) asks you to add 2 vectors that are 30° to each other, so ...

so how would i find 30 degrees, do I use the laws of sine or cosine

delfam said:
so how would i find 30 degrees, do I use the laws of sine or cosine

The Law of Cosines should do it.

To add only two vectors, use the law of cosines. Draw the vectors head to tail. Then the resultant is the other side of the triangle.

c² = a² + b² - 2 ab cos C,
where a, b, and c are sides and angle C is opposite side c.
http://quarknet.fnal.gov/toolkits/ati/vectors.html

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It can be represented by a vector, which has both magnitude and direction.

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law explains how the acceleration of an object is related to the force applied to it. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force exerted on an object by gravity. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons (N).

How do vectors help in understanding forces?

Vectors help us understand forces by representing them graphically with arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force, and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the force. This allows us to visualize and analyze how multiple forces are acting on an object.

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are forces that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in no change in an object's motion. Unbalanced forces are forces that are not equal and cause an object to accelerate in the direction of the net force. In other words, balanced forces result in equilibrium, while unbalanced forces result in a change in motion.