Forces and Power: 18.5 HP to Drive 2320 kg Auto at 62.0 km/h

In summary, the question is asking for the retarding force on an automobile and the necessary power to drive it up a 15% grade. To find the retarding force, we use the formula F = P/v and plug in the given values for power and speed. For the necessary power, we use the formula P = F * v and plug in the calculated retarding force and the given speed.
odie5533

Homework Statement

(A) If 18.5 HP are required to drive a 2320 kg automobile at 62.0 km/h on a level road, what is the total retarding force due to friction, air resistance, and so on?
(B) What power is necessary to drive the car at 62.0 km/h up a 15% grade (a hill rising 15.0m vertically in 100m horizontally).

The Attempt at a Solution

18.5 HP = 13795 W
62.0 km/h = 17 m/s
A) [tex]P = F*v[/tex]
[tex]P / v = F[/tex]
[tex]F = ma[/tex]
[tex]P / v = ma[/tex]
[tex]a = P / (v * m)[/tex]
[tex]13795 / (17 * 2320) = 0.3498N[/tex]
B) [tex]\alpha = arctan(15/100) = 8.53[/tex]
[tex]\sum F = F_{up} - 0.3498N - w sin(8.530)[/tex]
[tex]\sum F = F_{up} - 0.3498N - 3375N[/tex]
[tex]F_{up} = 3375N[/tex]
[tex]P = F * v[/tex]
[tex]P = 3375 * 17 = 57375 W = 77 HP[/tex]

This seems completely wrong to me... I'm not sure if any of it is right even. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your part a) isn't right. You had the right formula, but didn't use it. F = P/v.

plug in P plug in v. get F.

Part b), your work is right... you just need to use the correct force from part a).

Thanks learningphysics! I had no idea I was so close to the answer, I figured all my work was wrong :(

1. How is horsepower defined and measured?

Horsepower is a unit of measurement used to quantify the power output of an engine or motor. It is defined as the amount of work required to move 550 pounds a distance of 1 foot in 1 second. In the metric system, horsepower is equivalent to 746 watts.

2. What is the relationship between horsepower and speed?

In general, the more horsepower an engine has, the faster it can propel a vehicle. However, other factors such as weight, aerodynamics, and gearing also play a role in determining a vehicle's speed.

3. How is power related to force?

Power is defined as the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. Force, on the other hand, is a measure of the strength of a push or pull. In order to calculate power, both force and velocity must be taken into account. The greater the force applied, the more power is required to maintain a certain velocity.

4. What is the significance of 2320 kg in the given scenario?

2320 kg represents the mass of the auto, which is an important factor in determining the amount of force and power required to move it at a certain speed. The heavier the vehicle, the more force and power will be needed to overcome its inertia and maintain a constant speed.

5. How does the speed of the vehicle affect the amount of power required?

The speed of the vehicle is directly related to the amount of power required to maintain it. As the speed increases, the power needed to overcome air resistance and maintain a constant speed also increases. This is why more powerful engines are needed for high-speed vehicles.