Force & Springs Homework: Find Magnitude of F & Compression of Spring

In summary, a 30.0 kg block is resting on a flat horizontal table with a 15.0 kg block on top, attached to a horizontal spring with a spring constant of 315 N/m. The lower block has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.555 with the table, while the two blocks have a coefficient of static friction of 0.925. A horizontal force F is applied to the lower block to keep the blocks moving at a constant speed. At the point where the upper block begins to slip on the lower block, the spring is compressed by 0.432m. The magnitude of force F cannot be determined without further information, but equilibrium can be used to solve the problem.
minitorpedo

Homework Statement

A 30.0 kg block is resting on a flat horizontal table. On top of this block is resting a 15.0 kg block, to which a horizontal spring is attached. The spring constant of the spring is 315 N/m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the table is 0.555, while the coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.925. A horizontal force F is applied to the lower block as shown. This force is increasing in such a way as to keep the blocks moving at a constant speed.
At the point where the upper block begins to slip on the lower block determine the following. (a) the amount by which the spring is compressed. (b) the magnitude of the force F.

Homework Equations

F = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) the magnitude by which the spring is compressed is 0.432m. (that is a right answer)
For part b) i think there are many factors: the friction of the big block with the table, the friction of the big block with the small block, the force of the spring and how it varies as the force pushes in more. I don't know how to combine all of those into an equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
minitorpedo said:
For part b) i think there are many factors: the friction of the big block with the table, the friction of the big block with the small block, the force of the spring and how it varies as the force pushes in more. I don't know how to combine all of those into an equation.

Hint: constant velocity implies equilibrium.

Hey I am confused on a question like this too! I had no clue how to even start?...

How did u even get part a? F=? K=315

prettyinpink said:
How did u even get part a? F=? K=315

Probably the most standard advice - draw a free body diagram. Do that for every box separately.

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnitude of force in a spring?

The equation for calculating the magnitude of force in a spring is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. How do I determine the spring constant?

The spring constant, k, can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x.

3. What is the unit of measurement for force in a spring?

The unit of measurement for force in a spring is Newtons (N).

4. How do I find the compression of a spring?

The compression of a spring can be found by dividing the force applied to the spring by the spring constant. This can be represented by the equation x = F/k.

5. Can I use the same equation to calculate the magnitude of force and the compression of a spring?

Yes, the same equation F = -kx can be used to calculate both the magnitude of force and the compression of a spring. However, the values for force and displacement (or compression) must be known in order to use this equation.