What is the Correct Calculation for the Second Force in Vector Notation?

In summary, the problem involves finding the other force acting on a 1 kg standard body, given that it accelerates at 3.40 m/s2 at 155° from the positive direction of the x axis, owing to two forces. The other force can be found using unit-vector notation and as a magnitude and direction, by calculating the x-component and y-component and combining them to get the resulting force.
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

Suppose that the 1 kg standard body accelerates at 3.40 m/s2 at 155° from the positive direction of the x axis, owing to two forces, one of which is F1 = (2.6 N)i + (4.8 N)j. What is the other force in unit-vector notation and as a magnitude and direction? i-component of the other force?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find the x-component of F2.

F2,x = max - F1,x
F2,x = (1)(3.4 cos155) - (2.6 cos 155)
I got F2,x to be -0.725 N but that's not the correct answer

For F2,y I did:
F2,y = may - F1,y
F2,y = (1)(3.4sin 155) - (4.8sin 155)
But its also wrong. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ganondorf29 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that the 1 kg standard body accelerates at 3.40 m/s2 at 155° from the positive direction of the x axis, owing to two forces, one of which is F1 = (2.6 N)i + (4.8 N)j. What is the other force in unit-vector notation and as a magnitude and direction? i-component of the other force?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find the x-component of F2.

F2,x = max - F1,x
F2,x = (1)(3.4 cos155) - (2.6 cos 155)
I got F2,x to be -0.725 N but that's not the correct answer

For F2,y I did:
F2,y = may - F1,y
F2,y = (1)(3.4sin 155) - (4.8sin 155)
But its also wrong. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I would suggest you try converting the 3.4 to i, j notation.

Now they give you one of the Forces F1 and the resulting force F3 (the 3.4N force), where

F3 = F1 + F2

What they are asking for is F2 which can be given by

F2 = F3 +(- F1)

Thank you. I got it right

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction. It is measured in Newtons (N) and has both magnitude and direction.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other common forces include friction, tension, and applied force.

3. How are forces represented in physics?

Forces are represented using vector quantities, which have both magnitude and direction. This is typically done using arrows, with the length representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the force.

4. What is a unit vector?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1 that is used to represent a specific direction. It is typically denoted by adding a hat symbol (^) above the vector symbol.

5. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

The net force on an object is calculated by adding all of the individual forces acting on the object. This can be done using vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each force are taken into account.