Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces Applying to Antimatter

1. Aug 10, 2004 #1
    I don't know if this is true or not, and I have a feeling that it has already been proven otherwise, but I think that the forces applying to antimatter are flipped.

For instance, a positron and an electron would repel, and a positron and a proton would attract(don't mind the inserting of the electron, it was the only negatively charged particle that I could think of that was of the matter family).

If this is so, then two like pairs of different matter families would attract, and also, be quite interesting(so interesting, that this is provably proved wrong due to the fact that I would have heard of it no matter how much I miss the Physics news).

Imagine this- you have a positron on one side of a box, with that side charged positively with matter, so it is attracted, and a proton in the same state on the other(wall charged negatively, etc.). Now imagine that you insert an electron. If you do so, it will be repelled from the Antimatter and attracted with [tex]\frac{kQq}{r^2} + \frac{r^2}{kQq}[/tex] to the proton, due to the repulsion and the skewed logic used by me to find the inverted formula is the Antimatter version(thus stating that they use Reverse Gravity as we use Gravity, etc.).

Soo, evaluate this and try not to give too much criticism, for I know that it is hard to hold back with something like this...;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't read too much into the name anti-matter. Positrons are positively charged and act that way. They are attracted to electrons. Collisions between electrons and positrons are quite common, producing two gamma rays (511 kev).

4. Aug 10, 2004 #3
    Mathman is correct IMHO. Antimatter acts just like matter until it gets close to matter, then every thing comes unglued. Antimatter has normal gravity, same as regular matter.

Vern

5. Aug 10, 2004 #4
    Besides all these things on matter and anti-matter come from Dirac and are well covered by QFT, i guess

marlon

6. Aug 10, 2004 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Anti-matter does not produce anti gravity, just the ordinary attractive version.

7. Aug 10, 2004 #6
    Photons are their own anti-particles, and gravity affects them in the normal way.

8. Aug 12, 2004 #7
    Yes yes, I know this, but I wasn't sure about the forces applying to them...Well, now that it has been confirmed, you may ignore this theory...;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?