Calculating Forces and Acceleration Between Charged Particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on an electron located between a positive and negative ion with specific charges and distances. Using the equation F=kqq'/r^2 and resolving the forces into x and y-components, the magnitude of the resultant force is found to be 6.137e-18 N at an angle of -54.9 degrees from the +x-axis. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in solving for this force and the lack of knowledge on how to calculate the electron's instantaneous acceleration.
thst1003
An electron is near a positive ion of charge +9e and a negative ion of charge −8e (see the figure below). (Take a = 5.23 µm, b = 4.28 µm, and θ = 54.9°.)

17-p-009-alt.gif

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on the electron. (Let right be the +x-direction. Measure the angle counter-clockwise from the +x-axis.)

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the electron's instantaneous acceleration (Let right be the +x-direction. Measure the angle counter-clockwise from the +x-axis.)

I used the equation F=kqq'/r2 and I got the forces that came in and out of the single electron (Remember e=1.6e-19 C). I got those values to be 3.96e-19 N from the bottom left charge to the single electron and 6.137e-18 N from the top charge to the single electron. I am having difficulty making sure those are correct and solving for the actual answers. I don't even know how to do part b. I am assuming it deals with the force calculated and the mass of the electron.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The force due to the bottom left charge points in the -x-direction. The force due to the top charge points at an angle of 54.9 degrees from the -x axis (which means it points at an angle of 180 minus that as measured from the +x axis). You have to find the vector sum of these two forces. One easy way of doing this is to resolve each of them into x and y-components, add up these components separately, and then compute the magnitude of the result.

I don't get the same answers as you for the magnitudes of the forces. Can you post your calculations?

EDIT: No, sorry, I messed up on that slightly. The second force points at an angle of 54.9 degrees *below* the +x-axis. I.e. you start from the +x-axis and rotate clockwise by 54.9 degrees. So, using the convention they asked you to use, this angle is interpreted as -54.9 degrees.

Last edited:

What are the fundamental forces between charges?

The fundamental forces between charges are the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and the gravitational force.

How do charges interact with each other?

Charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for both attraction and repulsion between charges.

What is Coulomb's law and how does it relate to forces between charges?

Coulomb's law states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law helps us understand and calculate the strength of the force between two charges.

What is the difference between electric and magnetic forces?

Electric forces are caused by the interactions between electric charges, while magnetic forces are caused by the motion of electric charges.

How do forces between charges affect matter?

Forces between charges can cause matter to attract or repel each other, leading to the formation of chemical bonds and the behavior of materials such as metals and magnets. They also play a crucial role in the behavior of particles in atoms and molecules.