Finding the Magnitude of Force without Time: A Rocket Pack Dilemma

In summary, Pam, with a mass of 45 kg, is standing on frictionless ice wearing a rocket pack. The rocket supplies a constant force for 22.0 m, and Pam reaches a speed of 62.5 m/s. The question is asked about the magnitude of the force and Pam's final kinetic energy. The person is struggling to figure out the force without a given time and has already used up 2 submissions for their internet homework. They also ask about Pam's kinetic energy at the start and end of the experiment, as well as the relationship between work and force. The person then realizes the equation W=chgKE and apologizes for their mistake.
amcoolio
Hello all. Great site here. I have been working on this problem for a while now and I cannot figure out the magnitude of the force.

Pam, wearing a rocket pack, stands on frictionless ice. She has a mass of 45 kg. The rocket supplies a constant force for 22.0 m, and Pam acquires a speed of 62.5 m/s. Unless otherwise directed, assume that air resistance is negligible. What is the magnitude of the force? What is Pam's final Kinetic Energy?

How do you figure out the force when time is not a given? I have tried 441 N but it is wrong. (This is internet homework and I have used up 2 submissions. I have 8 submissions left.)

Physics news on Phys.org
How much kinetic energy does Pam have at the start, when she's motionless?

How much kinetic energy does Pam have at the end, when she's going 62.5 m/s?

How are work and force related?

- Warren

lol I am sooo stupid...I forgot about W=chgKE

thanks

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the motion of an object at a steady speed in a straight line. This means that the object is not speeding up or slowing down, and is not changing direction.

2. How is constant velocity different from constant speed?

Constant velocity and constant speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Constant speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while constant velocity also takes into account the direction of motion.

3. What is the role of forces in constant velocity?

Forces are not necessary for an object to maintain a constant velocity. In fact, if an object is already moving at a constant velocity, it will continue to do so unless acted upon by an external force.

4. Can an object have a constant velocity and changing acceleration?

No, an object cannot have a constant velocity and changing acceleration at the same time. If an object's velocity is changing, it means that its acceleration is not constant.

5. How can we calculate the velocity of an object in motion?

The velocity of an object can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is known as average velocity. Velocity can also be calculated by measuring the slope of the position-time graph for the object.