Number of Forces Doing Work on Box on Incline

In summary, the conversation discusses how many forces are doing work on a box being pulled up a rough incline by a rope connected to a pulley. The conversation mentions the normal force, force, and friction as potential forces, but the correct answer is three forces. The conversation advises understanding how to identify the forces before determining which ones are doing work.
msattar07

Homework Statement

A box is being pulled up a rough incline by a rope connected to a pulley as shown below. The arrows indicate the direction of motion of the blocks. How many forces are doing work on the box?
(view attachement)

Homework Equations

different forces must be taken into account

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so there's the normal force, force, friction?

Attachments

• Chap+6+Conc+Question+_2.jpg
    Chap+6+Conc+Question+_2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 764
Physics news on Phys.org
msattar07 said:
ok so there's the normal force, force, friction?
First figure out how many forces act on the box. In what direction do they act?

Then figure out which of those forces do work on the box.

Hint: I count 4 forces acting on the box.

yea...i guessed that there were four forces because i was looking over another problem in my book that resembled this problem but i don't understand what the forces are..
but then i checked the answer for this problem just now..and the answer is three froces??

I advise you to first understand how to identify the forces that act on the box before you worry about which of them are doing work. Start listing them and specify which way they point.

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of forces doing work on a box on an incline?

The formula for calculating the number of forces doing work on a box on an incline is F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of incline.

2. How do I determine the direction of the forces doing work on a box on an incline?

The direction of the forces doing work on a box on an incline can be determined by analyzing the components of the force vector. The force vector will have a horizontal component and a vertical component, and the direction of each component will depend on the angle of incline and the direction of gravity.

3. How does the angle of incline affect the number of forces doing work on a box?

The angle of incline affects the number of forces doing work on a box by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces. As the angle of incline increases, the force required to keep the box from sliding down the incline also increases. Additionally, the direction of the force vector will change as the angle of incline changes.

4. Can there be more than two forces doing work on a box on an incline?

Yes, there can be more than two forces doing work on a box on an incline. In addition to the force of gravity and the normal force, there could also be a force of friction or an applied force acting on the box.

5. How does the mass of the box affect the number of forces doing work on an incline?

The mass of the box does not directly affect the number of forces doing work on an incline. However, a heavier box will require a greater force to keep it from sliding down the incline, and this force may come from multiple forces acting on the box.