What Forces Act on the Body During a Chin-Up?

• Thread starter Lavalamp22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of chin-ups and the assumptions made for calculating the required force. The main points are that the body is raised by 30cm in 1.0s, with half the time spent accelerating and the other half decelerating uniformly. The equations of motion are used to calculate the force required, which is found to be 853.06N. However, there is still some confusion and uncertainty about the accuracy of this answer.
Lavalamp22

Homework Statement

People who do chin-ups raise their chin just over a bar (the chinning bar), supporting themselves only by their arms. Typically, the body below the arms is raised by about 30cm in a time of 1.0s , starting from rest. Assume that the entire body of a 760N person who is chinning is raised this distance and that half the 1.0s is spent accelerating and the other half decelerating, uniformly in both cases.

Homework Equations

S=Vot+(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I had the right answer, but mastering physics is saying it's wrong, and I don't know what's wrong.

.3=(0*.5)+.5*a*.5^2
.3=1/2a*.25
2.4=a
F=ma
F=(77.55)(2.4)
F=186.12N

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like an energy-based approach may be in order.

Why have you used S = 0.3m ?

As I read the question the body starts at the bottom, accelerates for 0.15m to some velocity V then decelerates for 0.15m becoming stationary at the top. It says assume uniform acceleration so I think you can use standard equations of motion.

In addition the force required will obviously be greater than 760N. You have forgotton something else.

CWatters said:
Why have you used S = 0.3m ?

As I read the question the body starts at the bottom, accelerates for 0.15m to some velocity V then decelerates for 0.15m becoming stationary at the top. It says assume uniform acceleration so I think you can use standard equations of motion.

In addition the force required will obviously be greater than 760N. You have forgotton something else.

The question's wording is confusing me, but I understand what you mean. So it would be:

.15=(0*.5)+1/2a(.5^2)
a=1.2
F=(77.55)(1.2)
F=93.06N+760N=853.06N?

I only have 1 more attempt to answer the question before it will put a 0 as the grade, so please let me know if this is the correct answer. Thanks.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with an open mind and to critically analyze data and calculations. In this case, it is possible that there is an error in the calculation or that the problem is more complex than initially thought. I would recommend double checking the equations and calculations used, and also considering any other factors that may affect the forces during a chin-up, such as the strength and technique of the person performing the exercise. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with others or do further research to ensure an accurate and thorough understanding of the forces involved in a chin-up.

1. What is the force involved in performing a chin-up?

The main force involved in performing a chin-up is the force of gravity. This force pulls your body down towards the ground, making it difficult to lift yourself up.

2. How does the force of gravity impact chin-up performance?

The force of gravity makes it more challenging to perform chin-ups, as it requires you to overcome the downward pull to lift yourself up. This force also places more strain on your muscles, making it a great exercise for building strength.

3. Are there other forces involved in chin-ups besides gravity?

Yes, there are other forces involved in chin-ups. One is the force exerted by your muscles as they contract to pull your body up. Another is the force exerted by the bar or equipment you are gripping onto for support.

4. How do different body weights affect the forces during chin-ups?

Different body weights can affect the forces during chin-ups in various ways. Generally, the heavier you are, the more difficult it will be to perform chin-ups as you will have to overcome a greater force of gravity. However, having a higher body weight can also provide more resistance and make the exercise more challenging.

5. Is there a way to decrease the forces during chin-ups to make them easier?

One way to decrease the forces during chin-ups is by using resistance bands. These bands can help support your weight and reduce the force of gravity pulling you down, making it easier to perform the exercise. Additionally, using a chair or bench to assist with the movement can also decrease the forces and make chin-ups easier.