What is the Effort in a Hand Holding a Tray?

• B
  • Thread starter Richie Smash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces hand
In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram of a waiter holding a tray and the forces acting on it. The total downward force is 30N, with the pivot giving an upward force of 30N. The question is whether the middle finger or thumb is the effort when the tray is lifted. The concept of work is also brought up. The conversation concludes that in problems like this, it is more convenient to choose either the thumb or finger as the pivot point.
Richie Smash
HI, I've attached a rough diagram(emphasis on rough) of a waiter holding a tray, there is a downward force of 5N acting on the clockwise side, and a downwards force of 25N on the anticlockwise side of the pivot, which is his middle finger.

The total force acting down is 30N, so therefore the middle finger or pivot is giving an upwards force of 30 N.

I just want to know, if the waiter moves the tray up, is the middle finger the effort or is the thumb the effort?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 811
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
... is the middle finger the effort or is the thumb the effort?
Why does it matter?

So I can know in situations like this for example a question I'm doing, how to calculate the work if something is being lifted.
A.T. said:
Why does it matter?

True, but i think I better way to rephrase my question would be, If the waiter moves the tray up, would it be the downward forces doing the work, or the upward force of the pivot finger?

Richie Smash said:
True, but i think I better way to rephrase my question would be, If the waiter moves the tray up, would it be the downward forces doing the work, or the upward force of the pivot finger?
Just apply the definition. If the tray moves upward, the upward forces do positive work while the downward forces do negative work.

Likes Richie Smash
Richie Smash said:
is the middle finger the effort or is the thumb the effort?
In problems like this one, it is possible to 'take moments' about any point but it is convenient to choose either the thumb or finger. If you choose an arbitrary point along the tray, the equation you come up with has more parts to it so it's a waste of time and, once you get used to this sort of thing, you can often spot a quick way of approaching the problem.
Draw the forces on the diagram and equate the forces and the moments. The answer 'falls out'.

1. What is the force of gravity acting on a hand holding a tray?

The force of gravity acting on a hand holding a tray will depend on the mass of the tray and the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

2. How does the weight of the tray affect the hand holding it?

The weight of the tray will exert a downward force on the hand holding it, causing the hand to support the weight of the tray and the force of gravity acting on it.

3. Can the hand holding the tray experience any other forces?

Yes, the hand may also experience a normal force from the tray pushing back on the hand and a frictional force if the tray is moving across the hand's surface.

4. How does the position of the hand affect the forces acting on the tray?

The position of the hand can affect the distribution of forces on the tray. For example, if the hand is holding the tray closer to its center of mass, the weight and normal forces will be evenly distributed. If the hand is holding the tray on one side, there may be more weight and normal forces on that side.

5. How can the hand holding a tray maintain its balance?

The hand can maintain its balance by adjusting the position of its fingers and wrist to counteract the forces acting on the tray. The hand may also use muscles to stabilize and support the weight of the tray.