1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces help

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car of mass 2 (metric) tonnes is traveling at 20m/s. caculate its kinetic energy (can and have done) and the force required to stop it in 10 s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the KE = 4 *10^5 but i cant figure out how to calculate the force required to stop it in 10s. I think the equation for this mite be E/t=FV

The answer is 4*10^3N
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

Gold Member

To change it speed from 20m/s to 0m/s requires a deceleration of how much? What net force is required to produce this deceleration (what law relates net acceleration of a body to the net force)?
  4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    so is it F=ma
    that would give F=2000*-20
    which = 4*10^4 not 10^3
    also the force is positive but i suppose you just swap it because it is in the opposite direction to the original?? Also what then puts the 10s into the equation??
  5. Sep 9, 2008 #4

Gold Member

Yes use F=ma, but think about what value of 'a' you have used. a, acceleration, measures the rate at which speed is changing. If the speed changes from 20 to 0 over a period of 10 seconds, what is the acceleration?
  6. Sep 9, 2008 #5
    ok i think i get it now the acceleration should = 20-0/10
    which = 2
    so F= 2000*2
    thankyou so much
    This website is ausome...
  7. Sep 9, 2008 #6

Gold Member

No problems :smile: And yes this website is the best haha.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?