1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces HW problem clarity

1. Jun 28, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    GIANCOLI.ch04.p32.jpg How hard must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed? The mass of the person plus the bucket is 75 kg .

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hey everyone, so i've answered this question and it equals too half her weight. W=2T, but i just want to intuitively understand it better because it still confuses me. Why is the force exerted only half if its usually the whole weight required? is it because she's holding the rope? Also i've read that people say its because theres two tension forces on both sides, but wouldn't that be the case if it was just another regular force pulling down? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2017 #2
    Ask yourself if the end of the rope were attached to the bucket what the tension in each part of the rope would be. Obviously W/2. Since the girl is effectively part of the bucket her holding it does not change the situation so the tension on the end remains W/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted