1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces in 3-D

Tags:
  1. Aug 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

djWgK96.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am kind of confused as to why CD will be a function of L.

For BE i think it is ( -4i + 8j - 8k)
    For CD i think it is (6j - 8k) ---> I don't think there is any i value because they seem to be lined up together. I think i am not understanding the question properly. Is it that D is not lined up with C and so there will be an i value?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the distance L is unknown, so how can you be certain the points C and D are aligned in the x-direction? What if L can move back and forth parallel to the x-axis?

4. Aug 5, 2015 #3
    Ok that makes sense so L is unknown and it can be anything, which is later confirmed in part(b). So Can you please help me in part(b) ?

5. Aug 5, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You want the value of L for which the system is static. What equations can you write down for static systems?

6. Aug 5, 2015 #5
    First i broke BE into components and i got 0.33BE(i) + 0.66BE(j) - 0.66BE(k) ----------(1)
    Then there is a ball and socket joint at A so it is broken into components Ax, Ay, Az ------------ (2)
    Force at P = 5kn so it is simply 5 Kn (j) ----------- (3)

Problem arises at CD. This is what i think looks like when you break CD into components given that L is unknown

vpWukY8.png -------------- (4)

Now after that I would take x component from each of the above equations and combine them together, same with y and same with z. This way i would have x components of all the equations separated in one equations and then same with y and z and i can set the coefficient equal to zero and try solve for it but there are too many unknowns.

Next step is to take moment around A and set it to zero but again the CD is the problem as there are too many unknowns :(

7. Aug 5, 2015 #6
    above are the equations that i can think of.

8. Aug 6, 2015 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which axis through A?
    Other than L and the tension in CD, what unknowns do you have in that equation?

9. Aug 6, 2015 #8
    Well, i also don't have BE to begin with. My main problem that i am stuck at is that neither do i have CD nor L. I am sorry but this problem is really confusing me :(
    Can you please give me more hint in order to solve it?

10. Aug 6, 2015 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, you have three unknowns, if you avoid involving the forces at A. To keep those forces out of it, you are taking moments about A. But you haven't answered my question about axis. Which axis through A are you taking moments about? What are the choices?

11. Aug 6, 2015 #10
    I am sorry i don't quite understand the question here. I take the distance from A to the B and then do a cross product with the force BE. Take distance from A to C and then do a cross product of that distance with the force CD. Take distance from A to P and do a cross product of it with 5Kn.

12. Aug 6, 2015 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, that's fine. So you get a 3D vector equation. That's equivalent to 3 scalar equations, and you have three scalar unknowns.

13. Aug 6, 2015 #12
    I can take moment about BE and P but i cant around CD. Even if i do take moment around CD there are more than one unknowns.

14. Aug 6, 2015 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agreed that what you did in taking those cross products was fine. (It's equivalent to what I was thinking of in terms of taking moments about three axes through A.)
    That one vector statics equation should give you all you need.
    Please post it.

15. Aug 6, 2015 #14
    First i am posting the components of each force, that is BE, CD and P

SfgqiVA.png

16. Aug 6, 2015 #15
    Moment around P = -40(i) + 15(k)

Moment around BE = -5.336(i) + 2.64(j)

Now moment around CD is a bit complicated.

17. Aug 6, 2015 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Posting your working as images is frowned upon. It makes it hard for those making comments to point out which equations or steps they are commenting on. Please learn to use LaTeX.

18. Aug 6, 2015 #17
    I am really sorry. This is my first day here at the forums.

19. Aug 6, 2015 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean the moment of the force at P about A.
    Again, you mean the moment of the tension in BE about A, yes? And you need the magnitude of that tension as a factor.
    Why is it any more complicated? Just take the cross product of vector CD with either AC or AD.

20. Aug 6, 2015 #19
    well you see the components of CD are a little different than BE or P because CD has L. As you can see in the picture above the components involves fraction and square root. I took the moment and this is what i get.

Again i am really sorry for this picture. I will learn LATEX with time.
    Nh4U7Qs.png

21. Aug 6, 2015 #20
    So now i am confused on how to solve this further.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted