1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces in a Pulley System

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

Mass m1=26.1 kg is on a horizontal surface, connected to mass m2= 5.50 kg by a light string as shown. The pulley has negligible mass and no friction. A force of 197.7 N acts on m1 at an angle of 33.3 deg.
    The coefficient of kinetic friction between m1 and the surface is 0.233. Determine the upward acceleration of m2.
    2.44 m/s^2

2. Relevant equations
    a1 = a2

T1 = T2

T1 = Fcos(theta) - Frictionforce

Friction force = uk(Normal Force)

Normal Force = weight - Fsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm actually looking at this problem again since I first did a week ago and I don't have the sheet I worked it out on with me right now, but using the equations I wrote above keeping in mind that T1=T2 I pretty much worked the whole thing out, however when I entered it into the online homework system I got it wrong no matter what I did I just couldn't get it. Can someone help me out with what I'm doing wrong? By the way I know what the answer is, but I just no how you would go about getting to it, I step-by-step run down through the problem would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

These are OK.

This assumes equilibrium, which is not the case here: the masses are accelerating. For each mass, apply Newton's 2nd law. You'll get two equations which you can solve together.

OK.

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3
    Is the weight both masses added together? I have this same question with different numbers/masses.

is friction force the same as mass*acceleration = u*normal force?

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No. Why would you add the weights together?
    The friction force will equal μ*N. (But don't set it equal to mass*acceleration--other forces are acting.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?