Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces in elevators

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1
    Hi, I've been thinking about the forces in elevators where a gravitational field exisits, in the case where the elevator moves at a constant upward velocity, which means that there is an equal force to the total weight, meaning that the net force is 0, the thing that strikes me is that I still fell my weigth, and I'm not in a state of weightlessness, on the other hand, if I were in space on a space shuttle and I started the front and rear thrusters so that the thrust was equal , I would still be weightless, so it can not be an analogy to the elevator. Another thing, if I was in an elevator at a constant velocity, I feel that I am being accelerated, but of course I am not: If some one could answer my question I would be quite happy.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is analogous to an elevator in free fall.

You are accelerated in the frame
    independent sense:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_acceleration

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Nov 9, 2014 #3
    Oh, so could I say? that the force of gravity is a different that of a force when you get pushed? becuse in some sense in the gravity I wouldn't need to feel an acceleration, to knew that I am being accelerated towards a planet, but in the other case I would necessary need to feel an acceleration to knew that I am being accelerated, there is another case.,If I was in a disc moving with an angular speed, I would feel an acceleration, but this is just like the force when I get pushed. If my assumptions are correct, what happends with the other forces, like the electrical forces or the magnetic forces? Anyways thank you for your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook