Forces in Equilibrium: Investigating a Physics Problem

In summary, the physics student was trying to find a formula to ensure the accuracy of his experiments, but was having difficulty finding information online. He attempted to measure the velocity of the wind from the fan, as well as develop equations to describe the drag force on a sail.
The Bob
Hi all. I have a strange problem.

I have been doing my physics investigation and I decided (with some arguments) to test forces in equilibrium. I need to know a formula to ensure my results are more or less accurate. Let me give you a low-down of the set up.

A sail, made of paper, is stuck on to a metal 'boat' that goes on an air track. Cotton is then knotted to the 'boat' and passed through a pulley that allows the cotton to be attached to weights (vertical) that will pull the 'boat' to the end of the air track that is nearest the pulley. A fan, at the same end, is then turned on and the distance that the 'boat' moves, due to the fan blowing on the sail, is measured from the fan (the source).

I, therefore, know the force that the fan is acting on the sail, as it is equal to the weight of the boat and the masses, the distance from the source and the area of the sail.

I have tried to find a constant from my data and tried the internet for this information but all I get is sails on yachts.

Can anyone even try to help me? I cannot find anything and cannot make any connections with different equations.

I you do not feel I have written enough about what I have done or what I think then say so and I will add some more.

Cheers. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for something along the lines of drag force?

I imagine though that the wind velocity decreases by the distance from the fan, so the force of the wind is a function of distance along the track.

Also the coefficient of drag is dependent on the absolute velocity between the object and opposing flow.

What measurements/experiments have been done, i.e. same pulling force with and without wind? Or did you use different pulling masses.

Have you tried measuring the velocity of the wind from the fan?

And - what equations have you developed?

Astronuc said:
Are you looking for something along the lines of drag force?

I imagine though that the wind velocity decreases by the distance from the fan, so the force of the wind is a function of distance along the track.

Also the coefficient of drag is dependent on the absolute velocity between the object and opposing flow.

What measurements/experiments have been done, i.e. same pulling force with and without wind? Or did you use different pulling masses.
The fan has 3 settings. Each gives a different wind velocity.
I have measured the distance from the source. I have used different areas and shapes of sails. The masses pulling the 'boat' varied by 10 grams each. Each experiment was done with wind.

Astronuc said:
Have you tried measuring the velocity of the wind from the fan?

And - what equations have you developed?
I have not tried measuring the wind velocity, didn't really think about it. And I cannot think of an equations I can use to develop an equation at all. If we added wind velocity, e.g. the setting on the fan, could an equation be found?

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What is the definition of forces in equilibrium?

Forces in equilibrium refer to a state where all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no overall change in the object's motion.

2. How do you determine if forces are in equilibrium?

To determine if forces are in equilibrium, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, calculate the net force by adding all the forces together. If the net force is equal to zero, the forces are in equilibrium.

3. What is the importance of understanding forces in equilibrium?

Understanding forces in equilibrium is crucial in understanding the stability and motion of objects. It is also essential in designing structures and machines that can withstand external forces without collapsing or breaking.

4. What are some real-life examples of forces in equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of forces in equilibrium include a book resting on a table, a ladder leaning against a wall, a car driving at a constant speed on a flat road, and a person standing still on the ground.

5. How can you use forces in equilibrium to solve physics problems?

To solve physics problems involving forces in equilibrium, you can use the principles of Newton's laws of motion and vector addition. By analyzing the forces acting on an object, you can determine the net force and predict the object's motion or stability.