1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces In Equilibrium

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3926/71072701.jpg [Broken]

I need to find the value of F2. I have drawn the free body diagram, and to find F2,

F2 cos 30 + F3 sin 30 = 10N
    F1 cos 30 + F2 sin 30 = F3 cos 30

I used this method, and tried to solve it but it doesn't lead me to the answer. Anyone can guide me? Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2
    Rotate your axis so that the F1 and F3 are exclusively in the x plane. From there it should be easy. You know the force of gravity, and you can find it's i and j components and solve for the rest. That's the trick to these inclined plane problems -- choose your axis wisely.

4. Aug 13, 2009 #3

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First draw yourself a coordinate system (x and y axes) so that we can talk about components of vectors. For a problem of this sort, x is usually along the incline and y perpendicular to it.

Once you've done that, find the components of each vector. Since the object is at rest, the sum of all the x components must be zero and the sum of all the y components must be zero.

Note that for a sum of two terms to be zero, one term must be positive and the other negative. Your equations do not show that, With a coordinate system drawn, it should be easy to see which components are positive and which are negative.

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4
    Thanks a lot guys. I've got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook