How do I find the value of F2 on an inclined plane?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of F2 using a free body diagram and solving equations involving F1, F2, and F3. The key to solving the problem is to rotate the axis so that F1 and F3 are exclusively in the x plane and to find the components of each vector. It is important to note that for the sum of two terms to be zero, one term must be positive and the other negative, which can be determined by drawing a coordinate system.
noobish

Homework Statement

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3926/71072701.jpg

I need to find the value of F2. I have drawn the free body diagram, and to find F2,

F2 cos 30 + F3 sin 30 = 10N
F1 cos 30 + F2 sin 30 = F3 cos 30

I used this method, and tried to solve it but it doesn't lead me to the answer. Anyone can guide me? Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rotate your axis so that the F1 and F3 are exclusively in the x plane. From there it should be easy. You know the force of gravity, and you can find it's i and j components and solve for the rest. That's the trick to these inclined plane problems -- choose your axis wisely.

First draw yourself a coordinate system (x and y axes) so that we can talk about components of vectors. For a problem of this sort, x is usually along the incline and y perpendicular to it.

Once you've done that, find the components of each vector. Since the object is at rest, the sum of all the x components must be zero and the sum of all the y components must be zero.

Note that for a sum of two terms to be zero, one term must be positive and the other negative. Your equations do not show that, With a coordinate system drawn, it should be easy to see which components are positive and which are negative.

Pupil said:
Rotate your axis so that the F1 and F3 are exclusively in the x plane. From there it should be easy. You know the force of gravity, and you can find it's i and j components and solve for the rest. That's the trick to these inclined plane problems -- choose your axis wisely.

kuruman said:
First draw yourself a coordinate system (x and y axes) so that we can talk about components of vectors. For a problem of this sort, x is usually along the incline and y perpendicular to it.

Once you've done that, find the components of each vector. Since the object is at rest, the sum of all the x components must be zero and the sum of all the y components must be zero.

Note that for a sum of two terms to be zero, one term must be positive and the other negative. Your equations do not show that, With a coordinate system drawn, it should be easy to see which components are positive and which are negative.

Thanks a lot guys. I've got it.

1. What is meant by "forces in equilibrium"?

Forces in equilibrium refers to a state where all the forces acting on an object are balanced and cancel each other out, resulting in the object remaining at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How do you determine if forces are in equilibrium?

To determine if forces are in equilibrium, you must first draw a free body diagram of the object and label all the forces acting on it. Then, use Newton's First Law of Motion to determine if the net force on the object is zero. If the net force is zero, then the forces are in equilibrium.

3. What is the difference between static equilibrium and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state where an object is at rest and all the forces acting on it are balanced. On the other hand, dynamic equilibrium refers to a state where an object is moving at a constant velocity and all the forces acting on it are balanced.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of the net force in a system in equilibrium?

In a system in equilibrium, the magnitude of the net force is equal to zero. Therefore, to calculate the direction of the net force, you can use the vector addition method. The direction of the net force is the same as the direction of the resultant force obtained from the vector addition of all the forces acting on the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of forces in equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of forces in equilibrium include a book sitting on a table, a person standing on the ground, and a car moving at a constant speed on a straight road. In all of these situations, the forces acting on the objects are balanced, resulting in equilibrium.