Which Object Exerts More Force: A or B?

In summary, the question is asking which object, a moving one or a stationary one, exerts a greater amount of force on the other. The relevant concept to consider is Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force exerted by Object A on Object B is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by Object B on Object A. Therefore, it can be concluded that both objects exert the same amount of force on each other.
AnomalyCoder

Homework Statement

Which object (moving, Object A, or stationary, Object B) exerts a greater amount of force on the other object?

Homework Equations

None that I could think of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I sort of need someone to point me in the right direction; this is a somewhat conceptual question, and I'm not sure I understand it. I think that the motionless object exerts less force since it starts moving after it gets hit by object A, and object A is still in movement.

I don't know if that's right, it's probably wrong; if anyone had any resources (a website/video) that I could learn some stuff from, that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object with mass to accelerate or change its direction of motion.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) using a device called a spring scale or force meter.

3. What factors affect the amount of force exerted by an object?

The amount of force exerted by an object depends on its mass and acceleration. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to accelerate it. Similarly, the greater the acceleration, the more force is exerted.

4. What is the difference between weight and force?

Weight is a measure of the gravitational force exerted on an object by a celestial body such as Earth. Force, on the other hand, is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its direction of motion.

5. How can we determine which object exerts more force: A or B?

The object that exerts more force is the one that causes a greater acceleration or change in motion. This can be determined by measuring the mass and acceleration of each object and using the formula F=ma, where F stands for force, m stands for mass, and a stands for acceleration.