1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces in structure

1. Apr 4, 2014 #1
    See attachment for question and diagrams.
    This problem is concerned with using the stiffness matrix method to find displacements and force in a structure. My problem is pre-eliminating the members. i have attached 2 diagrams. i would like help in trying to get from the first diagram, to the second diagram ( with eliminated members and forces calculated)

I know that

∑Fx=0
    ∑Fy=0
    ∑M=0

However, the UDL and other factors are causing me problems.
    I don't know where to start with this

Thanks

Attached Files:

• SS.png
      SS.png
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From the diagram attached, it's not clear what the magnitude of the distributed load q is.

If you are trying to eliminate the beam 1-6-7 and the support strut 5-6 from the rest of the structure,
    isolate it and draw a FBD for these members. You should be able to write equations of static equilibrium using the FBD and solve those to find the reaction forces, which can be applied to the remaining structure.

4. Apr 7, 2014 #3
    ok so my attempt,
    I have isolated 1-6-7 and 5-6.
    Taking moments about point 1 i have

6metres * 5kn/m * 3metres = Force at 5 * sqrt(2^2 + 2^2)
    Force at 5 = 31.8

This value seems correct. I have tried the get the forces at 1 but have had no luck. Where is the best place to take moments from ? intuitively it seems odd that the force in the x direction is greater than P, as P seems like the only force acting this way

Thanks

5. Apr 7, 2014 #4
    ok so my attempt,
    I have isolated 1-6-7 and 5-6.
    Taking moments about point 1 i have

6metres * 5kn/m * 3metres = Force at 5 * sqrt(2^2 + 2^2)
    Force at 5 = 31.8

This value seems correct. I have tried the get the forces at 1 but have had no luck. Where is the best place to take moments from ? intuitively it seems odd that the force in the x direction is greater than P, as P seems like the only force acting this way

Thanks

6. Apr 7, 2014 #5
    q=5kn/m

7. Apr 7, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Static equilibrium is more than just taking moments about an arbitrary point. You've got to write both the force and the moment equations to get the complete picture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted