Understanding Truss Forces and Solving Equations for Homework Assignments

In summary: Well, then the question is incomplete and unsolvable.You don't need dimensions in a statically determinate frame - just the proportions. Guessing that the left hand triangle is in a 3/4/5/ proportion, the figures 6 and 8 make sense. The choices of forces as multiples of 14 suggest the question is looking for an answer that can be achieved without a calculator. The suggested reactions are wrong in my opinion and this reinforces the notion that it is useless to look for internal forces if the external reactions are incorrect. The external reactions should have been checked, for example by taking moments about any point not already used to obtain tham.
chetzread

Homework Statement

i don't understand the 8/BD = x/EB
Can anyone explain about it? There's no point E in the diagram...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 270.jpg
    270.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 271.jpg
    271.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:
I can't see that in your attached images? Is there an image missing?

billy_joule said:
in post#1

billy_joule said:

Attachments

• 270.jpg
    270.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 404
  • 271.jpg
    271.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 334
chetzread said:
in post#1
Yeah, I see the two images in your OP and then again in post #4.

But I don't see this term:
chetzread said:

Likes chetzread
billy_joule said:
Yeah, I see the two images in your OP and then again in post #4.

But I don't see this term:
here

Attachments

• 271.jpg
    271.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 272.jpg
    272.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 377
Ok.
We still don't have the full problem statement as the dimensions of the structure don't appear in any of your three images.
I'm guessing the calc is some geometry to find some unknown length. Maybe E is a typo. Hard to say really, that's why PF homework rules state that you must include the entire question :wink:

billy_joule said:
Ok.
We still don't have the full problem statement as the dimensions of the structure don't appear in any of your three images.
I'm guessing the calc is some geometry to find some unknown length. Maybe E is a typo. Hard to say really, that's why PF homework rules state that you must include the entire question :wink:
in second image of post #6

chetzread said:
in second image of post #6
I see no dimensions (or angles) on either image in post #6. The second image appears to be part of the worked solution, how could you be expected to solve the problem if the geometry of the truss isn't given?

Likes chetzread
chetzread said:
Can anyone explain about it? There's no point E in the diagram...
We need you to post the complete figure and data for the problem as given. There are no dimensions marked on what you have provided.

Likes chetzread
billy_joule said:
I see no dimensions (or angles) on either image in post #6. The second image appears to be part of the worked solution, how could you be expected to solve the problem if the geometry of the truss isn't given?
the full exact question is in photo 271...That's the complete question...
why it's /BD = x/EB?

chetzread said:
the full exact question is in photo 271...That's the complete question...
Well, then the question is incomplete and unsolvable.

You don't need dimensions in a statically determinate frame - just the proportions. Guessing that the left hand triangle is in a 3/4/5/ proportion, the figures 6 and 8 make sense. The choices of forces as multiples of 14 suggest the question is looking for an answer that can be achieved without a calculator. The suggested reactions are wrong in my opinion and this reinforces the notion that it is useless to look for internal forces if the external reactions are incorrect. The external reactions should have been checked, for example by taking moments about any point not already used to obtain tham.

1. What are truss forces?

Truss forces are the internal forces that act on the members of a truss structure. These forces include tension, compression, and shear.

2. How do you solve equations for truss forces?

To solve equations for truss forces, you first need to draw a free body diagram of the truss structure and identify all the forces acting on each member. Then, you can use the method of joints or the method of sections to analyze the forces and set up equations to solve for the unknown forces.

3. What is the difference between the method of joints and the method of sections?

The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint of the truss structure, while the method of sections involves cutting the truss into sections and analyzing the forces acting on each section. The method of joints is more suitable for truss structures with a small number of members, while the method of sections is more suitable for larger and more complex truss structures.

4. How do you determine if a truss structure is statically determinate?

A truss structure is statically determinate if the number of unknown forces is equal to the number of available equations. This means that the structure can be completely solved for all the unknown forces using the equations of static equilibrium.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving truss force equations?

Some common mistakes when solving truss force equations include not considering all the forces acting on a member, not using the correct sign conventions, and not properly labeling or identifying the forces. It is also important to double-check the calculations and ensure that the final solution makes sense in the context of the truss structure.