Forces (Just need it checked)

• Thread starter tarheels88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the crate of oranges slides down an inclined plane with a frictionless surface. After sliding a distance of 2.29m, it reaches a speed of 5.832 m/s. To find the angle of inclination of the plane with respect to the horizontal, the acceleration in the x direction is calculated using the formula v^2= Vi^2+2a(x-xi). The resulting acceleration is 7.42 m/s^2 and can be used to find the angle by using the definition of sine, cosine, and tangent. The correct angle is 49.3 degrees.
tarheels88
Question:
A crate of oranges slides down an inclined plane without friction. If it is released from rest and reaches a speed of 5.832 m/s after sliding a distance of 2.29m, what is the angle of inclination of the plane with respect to the horizontal?

I first set up a free body diagram then I discovered that finding the acceleration in the x direction would be the best idea.

I have the question down to a=7.42 m/s^2 which is correct for the acceleration, but I am getting stuck on where to go next. The formula I used is:

v^2= Vi^2+2a(x-xi) and that gave me the 7.42 m/s^2. The book says the angle is 41 degrees, but I don't know how to take the acceleration and determine the angle just from the acceleration. Anyone have some pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think: What forces act on the crate? What force accelerates the crate down the slope?

ehild

Thenacceleration along the slope is a component of g acting at an angle... that should help. I reccomend drawing a nice big diagram of the situation with forces on it and looking for a nice right angled trianlge...

I did this but the problem never gave a mass. The angle is my desired result. Gravity is acting on the y direction F=mg. So I found acceleration in the x direction so...can I find the angle with the acceleration known even if the mass is not given?

You have 2 sides to a triangle - g of 9.81 in a vertical sense, and the component along the slope you calculated earlier. Could some trig be applied here?

tarheels88 said:
I did this but the problem never gave a mass. The angle is my desired result. Gravity is acting on the y direction F=mg. So I found acceleration in the x direction so...can I find the angle with the acceleration known even if the mass is not given?

Of course you can. You got a, the acceleration in the x direction. That corresponds to a force F=ma along the slope, red arrow in the picture, and that force is the parallel component of gravity (G, in blue). The arrows make a right triangle (yellow) with an angle α, equal to the inclination angle of the slope. You need only remember the definition of sine, cosine, tangent...

ehild

Attachments

• slopea.JPG
    slopea.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 406
tarheels88 said:
The book says the angle is 41 degrees

I get the angle as 49.3 degrees to 3 s.f. Correct?

Possibly you have found the wrong the angle in the triangle there...

lfcprg said:
I get the angle as 49.3 degrees to 3 s.f. Correct?

It has to be correct. The acceleration along the slope due to gravity is gsin(α). The acceleration is 7.426 ms-2, that corresponds to 49.2°, instead of 41.

ehild

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

3. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can either cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change direction. They can also affect the speed and velocity of an object.

4. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

5. How do forces interact with each other?

Forces can interact with each other in different ways. They can cancel each other out if they are equal in size and opposite in direction, or they can combine to produce a net force. The direction of the net force will determine the resulting motion of an object.