Calculating Forces and Magnitude for a 2.50 kg Block on a Frictionless Table

In summary, a block of mass 2.50 kg is pushed 2.18 m along a frictionless horizontal table by a constant 17.0 N force directed 22.6o below the horizontal. To determine the magnitude of the normal force exerted by the table and the net force on the block, the work done by the applied force is 3.42×101 J and the magnitude of the force of gravity is 24.50 N. To find the other two forces, it is necessary to set up a free body diagram and resolve the force applied into normal and parallel to the surface components using the 22.6° angle. Since there is no movement in the y-direction, it can be concluded that
collegegirl13
A block of mass 2.50 kg is pushed 2.18 m along a frictionless horizontal table by a constant 17.0 N force directed 22.6o below the horizontal.

Determine the magnitude of the normal force exerted by the table.
and
Determine the net force on the block.

I already found that the work done by the applied force is 3.42×101 J and the magnitude of the force of gravity is 24.50 N. I just don't know what to do to find the other two, I have tried several different equations but none of them are seeming to work for me...

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you set up a FBD? If you do, you'll see that there's three forces that at least partly act in the y-direction. There's no movement in the y-direction, which tells you what about the forces?

You need to resolve the Force applied into normal and parallel to the surface components.

That's where the 22.6° angle comes in.

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that can change its motion or shape.

What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear forces.

How is force measured?

Force is measured in the SI unit of Newtons (N), which is equal to 1 kilogram meter per second squared (kg*m/s^2).

What is magnitude?

Magnitude is the size or amount of a force or vector quantity, which can be described using a numerical value and a unit of measurement.

How do forces affect the motion of an object?

Forces can cause an object to speed up, slow down, or change direction. The net force acting on an object determines its overall motion according to Newton's laws of motion.