Solving the Overturning Moment Problem: 4 Seconds

In summary, Two boys walk towards each other on a plank which will overturn in 4 seconds if both boys walk at 1.0 m/s. If support C is not there, then the plank will overturn when B = 0 and C = 90. If support B is not there, then the plank will overturn when t = 30g/7.5g or 4 seconds.
a150daysflood

Homework Statement

363990__image547590.jpg

In this problem, take g = 10 m s-2.
A uniform plank of length 14 m long and mass 20 kg is being supported at B and C as shown above.
Two boys X and Y of masses 20 kg and 50 kg respectively are right on top of the supports.
X starts to walk towards A and Y walks towards D at the same time.
If both boys walk at 1.0 m s-1, the plank begins to overturn after how many seconds?

Homework Equations

Clockwise moment = anticlockwise moment
fs=fs

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer given is 4seconds.
i can't work it out,really need help.
Need a little hint please.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Imagine support C is not there. Imagine each boy has walked for 1 second. Each boy exerts a moment around B equal to is weight times his distance from B. If BoyY's moment is larger, the plank will want to rotate CW. But the plank doesn't rotate because support C is there. Will BoyX's moment eventually become larger? If so when?

Now do the same thing imagining that support B is not there.

Sup flood, this is what I got:

F_y equilibrium gives: B + C = 90g
Moment equilibrium about B gives: t = (C - 60g)/ 7.5g,

Where B and C are the reactions at B and C, and t is the time after X and Y start moving.

Recall that the reactions are given by:

B + C = 90g

I figured that since Y is heavier, the beam will overturn when all the weights are centered at C i.e. when B = 0 and C = 90. Subbing this into the moment eqbm equation, we get:

t = 30g/ 7.5g = 4 s

Which is the answer yea? How'd you get 1 s? Anyhows... yea let me know if that helped.

Kenny

Yea kenny lee your right.
Thanks alot.

Last edited:
Glad to be of help =)

But how did you get 7.5g anyway?

I've attached my working. Its Jpeg. Um you have a look, see if it makes sense. (or if its even right).

G luck

Attachments

• working.JPG
    working.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 417
Thanks a zillion for you effort and time.
God bless..

Last edited:

1. What is the Overturning Moment Problem?

The Overturning Moment Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the amount of force needed to keep an object in equilibrium when it is subjected to an external force or moment. This problem is commonly encountered in engineering and physics, and its solution is crucial in ensuring the stability and safety of structures.

2. Why is it important to solve the Overturning Moment Problem in 4 seconds?

In many real-world situations, such as during earthquakes or strong winds, structures are subjected to external forces that can cause them to topple over. It is crucial to find the solution to the Overturning Moment Problem within a short time frame, typically 4 seconds, to prevent catastrophic consequences.

3. What are the steps involved in solving the Overturning Moment Problem in 4 seconds?

The first step is to determine the external forces acting on the structure and their respective distances from the pivot point. Then, using the principles of rotational equilibrium, we can calculate the net moment acting on the structure. The next step is to find the point of application of the counteracting force or moment that will balance the net moment. Finally, we can calculate the magnitude of this counteracting force or moment to solve the problem.

4. Can the Overturning Moment Problem be solved for any type of structure?

Yes, the principles used to solve the Overturning Moment Problem are applicable to any type of structure, including buildings, bridges, and even smaller objects like furniture. However, the complexity of the problem may vary depending on the structure's shape and the external forces acting on it.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Overturning Moment Problem in 4 seconds?

Yes, there are limitations to solving the Overturning Moment Problem in a short time frame. In some cases, the external forces acting on the structure may change rapidly, making it challenging to find the solution within 4 seconds. Additionally, the calculation may become more complex for structures with irregular shapes or multiple external forces acting on them.