What is the average force exerted by a punter on a football in Newton's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses two physics problems involving acceleration and force. The first problem involves a football punter accelerating a football and the second problem involves a freight train increasing its speed. The conversation highlights the difficulties the individual is having with solving the problems and their process of understanding and finding the correct solutions. Ultimately, the conversation shows the importance of understanding formulas and making accurate calculations in solving physics problems.
BunDa4Th
Well, I am having trouble with this and I been looking at the book for a long time and still lost. The teacher never went over this so no notes to help me out here either.

A football punter accelerates a football from rest to a speed of 10 m/s during the time in which his toe is in contact with the ball (about 0.18 s). If the football has a mass of 0.50 kg, what average force does the punter exert on the ball?
N

I have no slight clue on where to start or what formula I should be using. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that means the football's starting speed is 10m/s which is the time the football punter kick it!

edit: okay i figure out how to do the first one but at a lost on this problem

A freight train has a mass of 1.3 x 10^7 kg. If the locomotive can exert a constant pull of
6.8 x 10^5 N, how long does it take to increase the speed of the train from rest to 84 km/h? min

so far i got this part from reading the book ma = F_net --> a = F_net/m =

6.8 x 10^5 N/1.3 x 10^7 kg = .052 m/s^2

84km/h x .278

I think i use v = at + V_0 = (.052)t = 23.352 t = 449 second

edit: okay nevermind i figure this out do to my own mistake. I got the wrong conversion for km/h to m/s. I done correction to it.

Last edited:

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be written as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal force in the opposite direction on the first object.

How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to change its motion by changing its speed, direction, or both. When multiple forces act on an object, their combined effect will determine the resulting motion of the object.

What are some real-world applications of Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newtons's Laws of Motion are used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and even sports. Some examples include understanding the motion of projectiles, designing structures to withstand forces, and calculating the forces involved in sports such as throwing a ball or running.