1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces (Newton's Laws)

1. Oct 26, 2004 #1
    Hi.

I have a physics question. I cannot get the right naswer.

The question:
    Three boxes rest side-by-side on a smooth horizontal floor. Their masses are 1.10 kg, 3.45 kg, and 5.55 kg, with the 3.45 kg one in the center. A horizontal force of 20.0 N pushes on the 1.10 kg mass which pushes against the other two masses. What is thte contact force between the 3.45 kg and 5.55 kg boxes?

My solution:
    I know that the force applied (20.0 N) is not constant throughout. However, acceleration of the full system is. Therefore I thought I could use Newton's 2nd Law. Fnet = ma.

Fnet of mass 1.10 kg = ma
    rearranging gives a = 18.18 m/s^2.

Fnet of mass 3.45 = ma = 62.7 N

I thought this would be my contact force as this is the force that the 3.45 kg block pushes against the 5.55 kg box?/ Isn't this the answer? Can someone point me in the right direction or help me out.?? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2004 #2
    Have you drawn the free body diagram of the boxes individually ?
    Have you applied newton's third law as well ?For example, two forces acts on the 1.10 kg block which are the 20.0 N force and the contact force exerted on it by the middle block.
    The 20.0 N force applied is constant of course or the question will get quite complicated.

4. Oct 27, 2004 #3
    i assume friction is negligible.
    i would like to use newton's second law like this
    first, the 20N force accelerates the whole system:
    20N = (1.10 + 3.45 + 5.55)(kg)*a; => a_total = 1.99m/^s^2
    so, the acceleration of the whole system of boxes is 1.99m/s^2.
    Next, for the last box of weight 5.55kg to get an acceleration of 1.99m/s^2 you will need the contact force
    F = m*a = (5.55)(kg)*(1.99)(m/s^2) = 10.95N.
    This should be the force excerted on the last box of 5.55kg. Haven't had my morning coffee yet though, so i might be wrong :)

/edit
    although the easiest way to solve this problem would be to examine the quota F/m. since the acceleration is the same for all parts of the system you could solve it like
    F_tot/m_tot = F_3/m_3 and thus get the force on the third box (F_3)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?