1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces of constraints

1. Oct 20, 2016 #1
    hello :)
    my question is about a solved example in gregory's book
    first of all , assuming that that a cylinder with radius "a" is rolling without slipping towrad the y direction in an incline plane
    with angle θ with the horizon and the cylinder him self is rotating with angle Φ about him self then why the equation of constraint became
    y=aθ why its not y=aΦ ?? does that mean θ=Φ for the rolling condition ??

also
    another example about the constraints is for the same cylinder but this time heis moving horizontally (i uploaded a screen shot for the solution)
    how could he get those equations am not looking for answers here but i cant imagine the movement of this cylinder and the relation between θ and Φ
    i dont have any attempts because am not even able to imagine the movement of the cylinder , sorry :(

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2
    the screen shot talks about a disc rolling on a horizontal surface? how come you say it to be a cylinder.
    Moreover in first part -you should post a diagram with these two angles defined ...your work out must be posted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted