1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on a hammerhead

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a pile driver , a steel hammerhead with mass 200kg is lifted 3m above the top of a vertical I beam being driven into the ground. the hammer is then dropes driving the Ibeam7.4cm farther into the ground. The vertical rails that guide the hammerhead exert a constant 60N friction force on the hammerhead. Use the work energy theorem to find a) speed of the hammerhead just as it hits the I beam and b) the average force the hammerhead exerts on the I-Beam Ignore the air effects of the air.

3. The attempt at a solution

I managed to understand part a. Part b is where I am lost.

The book shows the following work, and I need help understanding on of the steps.

= (w-f-n)s23

Wtotal = (w-f-n)s23 = k3-k2

*** n is the same as g right? and we solve for n? Since when is n the average force?***

n = w-f - k3-k2/s23

=1960N - 60N - 0J - 5700J / 0.074m

the part underlined I understand.
    The part in bold is where I can't explain why.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider the force exerted by the pile on the hammer.
    You are slowing the hammer from the speed found in part A to 0 in 7.4cm.
    Just work out the accelearation ( v^2=u^2+2as) and use f=ma to get the force, assuming the deceleration is uniform.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?