1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on a Pulley?

Tags:
  1. Oct 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

mass 1 is sitting on a frictionless table and is connected by a string to mass 2 which is hanging over the edge via pulley...

2. Relevant equations

∑F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

What is the normal force of mass 1 exerted on and exerted by? I think the normal force is exerted by the table and exerted on the mass.
    What is the tension in the string exerted on and exerted by? I think the tension in the string is exerted by mass 2 (hanging over the edge) and it's exerted on the string.
    What is the force of mg exerted on and exerted by? I think the force of mg would be exerted on the mass 1 and exerted by gravity.

I understand forces pretty well, but I'm a little confused as to what exactly is exerting them and being exerted upon. Could someone tell me if i'm correct or wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to physicsforums!

What you've written looks reasonable to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted