What Torque is Required for a Hoist Drum to Lift an 8 Tonne Load?

In summary, the problem involves raising a load of 8 tonne with a uniform acceleration of 1.1 m/s^2 using a light cable passing over a hoist drum of 2 m diameter. The drum has a mass of 1 tonne and a radius of gyration of 750 mm. The torque required at the drum can be found using the equations T=Ia and F=ma, and after solving it comes out to be 87.8 KN-M. To solve the problem, free body diagrams and equations of motion for each mass are needed, along with kinematic relations.
robbinz

Homework Statement

Q
A load of mass 8 tonne is to be raised with a uniform acceleration of 1.1 m/s^2 by means of a light cable passing over a hoist drum of 2 m diameter. The drum has a mass of 1 tonne an a radius of gyration of 750 mm. Find the torque required at the drum if friction is neglected.

A
(87.8 KN-M)

Homework Equations

T=Ia = MK^2a ( The a is ment to be alpha )

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so my attempt at the solution was T = Ia(alpha) + F x R ( Taking F=MA )
But it comes out wayyyy wrong.

So obiously I know the solution as I have given it. But I am confused as how to do the working. Can anyone help ?

p.s. First forum post...yayyy :D

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a couple of free body diagrams to start things off. Then write the equations of motion for each mass (the drum, the block being raised) and write the relevant kinematic relations. Then it should all fall into place for you.

for your question and welcome to the forum! Let's break down the problem and see if we can figure out the solution together.

First, let's define some variables:

m = mass of load (8 tonne)
a = acceleration (1.1 m/s^2)
d = diameter of drum (2 m)
M = mass of drum (1 tonne)
r = radius of gyration (750 mm = 0.75 m)
T = torque required at drum

Now, let's think about the forces acting on the drum. We have the torque (T) from the cable pulling on the drum, and we also have the force (F) from the weight of the load. Since the drum is rotating, we also need to consider the moment of inertia (I) of the drum.

Using the equation T=I(alpha), we can see that the torque is directly proportional to the moment of inertia and the angular acceleration (alpha). Since we are given the mass and radius of gyration of the drum, we can calculate the moment of inertia using the equation I=Mr^2. Plugging in the values, we get:

I = (1000 kg)(0.75 m)^2 = 562.5 kg*m^2

Now, let's consider the force (F) from the weight of the load. Since the load is being lifted with a uniform acceleration, we can use the equation F=ma to calculate the force. Plugging in the values, we get:

F = (8000 kg)(1.1 m/s^2) = 8800 N

Since the drum is rotating, we need to consider the radius of the drum in our calculations. The radius (R) of the drum is half of the diameter, so R = 1 m.

Now, let's put it all together. Using the equation T=I(alpha) + F x R, we get:

T = (562.5 kg*m^2)(1.1 m/s^2) + (8800 N)(1 m) = 619.4 N*m + 8800 N*m = 9420 N*m = 9.42 kN*m

Converting to the correct units, we get:

T = 9.42 kN*m = 94.2 kN*mm = 94.2 kN*m

So, our final answer is T = 94.2 kN*m

What is a rotating drum?

A rotating drum is a cylindrical object that spins on its axis. It is commonly used in industrial and scientific settings for mixing, blending, and separating materials.

What forces act on a rotating drum?

There are several forces that act on a rotating drum, including centripetal force, frictional force, and gravitational force. Centripetal force is responsible for keeping the drum moving in a circular motion, while frictional force helps to slow down the rotation. Gravitational force pulls downward on the drum, affecting its stability and balance.

How does the speed of rotation affect the forces on a rotating drum?

The speed of rotation has a direct impact on the forces acting on a rotating drum. As the speed increases, so does the centripetal force, which can cause the drum to become unstable and potentially lead to equipment failure. Additionally, the higher the speed, the greater the frictional force, which can increase wear and tear on the drum's components.

What are some real-world applications of studying forces on a rotating drum?

Studying forces on a rotating drum can have various applications in different industries. For example, in the food industry, understanding forces on a rotating drum can help improve mixing and blending processes. In the manufacturing industry, it can aid in optimizing the design and operation of industrial machinery. In the field of physics and engineering, it can provide insights into the principles of rotational motion and how they apply in real-world scenarios.

How can we measure the forces on a rotating drum?

There are various methods for measuring the forces on a rotating drum, including using sensors and strain gauges. These devices can be placed on the drum's surface to measure the forces acting on it in real-time. Additionally, mathematical models and simulations can also be used to estimate the forces based on the drum's design and speed of rotation.