Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on a spinning disk

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    I would like to be able to calculate the forces on a spinning disk to determine the rpm it will fly apart given its dimensions and the mechanical properties of the material it's made of. I understand centripital and centrifugal forces. However, I'm not understanding how I to set up the problem to calculate the forces that would go beyond the yield strength of the material. Suggestions, ideas, formulas? Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2
    It's a good question that, fortunately, has been well studied.

I am not competent enough to give you a direct answer, but I do know that Googling the term "flywheels" will present to you many hours of interesting info.

One "obvious" note: high rpm disks are extremely dangerous due to their instability/fragmentation potential which CAN RESULT IN A LETHAL ENVIRONMENT.

Treat this subject with considerable respect of the potential hazards should you wish to experiment with it.

Anyway, googling flywheels will give you some great info.

4. May 4, 2009 #3

minger

Science Advisor

There was actually recently a post regarding this same thing. If you cannot find it here, do a google for "Disk Burst", which will help you calculate the radial and circumferential forces generated by spinning.

5. May 4, 2009 #4
    Thanks much. I'll try that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook