Forces on a Spring: Calculate Force and Energy

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with determining the force and potential energy of a spring after compression, as well as the frequency period of a mass oscillating on the spring. The individual is struggling to find similar questions in their textbook and is seeking help from others. They are also unsure about the formula for determining the period/frequency of Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM).
B2k
Hi,

Ok so here's my problem...

A force F causes a spring with spring constant of 150N/m to compress by 2 cm. Determine the force exerted by and the potential energy of the spring (obv. p=mgh) before and after compression.

Determine the frequency period of the oscillation of a 100g mass oscillating on the spring.

So basically I can't find any similar questions in my textbook and none of my answers seems plausible. You guys are my last resort! :L:D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "force exerted by PE of spring"? It seems as though you only need Hooke's law here for the force.

For the 2nd one, it's pretty straightforward. There should be a formula for period/frequency in your text for SHM.

the first part i can do no problem.. the second part i keep getting answers that look way out.. formula i had was t=2(pie)/w which i think was ok.. but w was a problem as i couldn't get a correct answer when i used a=w2s

1. What is Hooke's Law and how is it related to forces on a spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. In other words, as the spring stretches or compresses, the force applied to it increases or decreases accordingly.

2. How do you calculate the force exerted by a spring?

The force exerted by a spring can be calculated using the formula F = -kx, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the spring constant in N/m, and x is the displacement in meters.

3. What is the relationship between force and energy in a spring system?

The force exerted by a spring is directly related to the potential energy stored in the spring. As the spring is compressed or stretched, potential energy is stored. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy when the spring returns to its equilibrium position.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the force on a spring?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the force exerted by a spring. However, the displacement of the spring may be affected by the mass of the object attached to it, which in turn affects the force exerted by the spring.

5. Can you calculate the energy stored in a spring?

Yes, the energy stored in a spring can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the energy in Joules, k is the spring constant in N/m, and x is the displacement in meters. This formula is derived from the potential energy stored in the spring when it is compressed or stretched.