1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on a window

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Draw the forces on a window

The scenario is that I have 3 suction cups on the window to tale it down. And i dont know where the "normalforce" is. I forgot to draw the force of the suction cups
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

z8jtzqH.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

The suction cups must be located somewhere. Also, I find it hard to believe the Fn and Ff working lines in your sketch. Please elaborate ...

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3
    Does Fn hav to be opposite of Fg?

5. Oct 12, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Opposite meaning working on the left pane if the other is working on the right pane ? Or do they grab along the same line ? Or are there more than one friction forces aat work ?

From the picture I can't see if the window is in static equilibrium or if it's crashing down with thunderous speed (probably the former :smile:)

6. Oct 12, 2015 #5
    It is not supposed to move. If I look out of my bedroom window there is a downward force (Fg) and a upward force which is the friction. The window has suction cups om the outside to try to remove the window. So there is also a force outside cus someones is pulling. So i am wondering where Fn is. It must be opposite of the pulling force right?

7. Oct 12, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry to have still more questions, but I can't form a complete picture yet:

which way is the someone outside pulling ? Can you post a more complete picture ? Is it sensible to also draw a side view, or are all forces verical ?

8. Oct 12, 2015 #7
    http://imgur.com/a/p9SU3
    http://imgur.com/a/p9SU3

Here are the pictures. Fg is down and the friction force is up. Outside there are three things stuck on thw window so they can pull it out. So i am wondering where Fn is

9. Oct 12, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Found a window picture:

window1-detail.jpg
    If you pull on the suction cups in an outward direction, that is a horizontal force. The jambs provide the normal force . So a side view is indicated !

Friction force is up, you say. How do you know ? And is it offsetting Fg completely ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted