Forces on a Window: 3 Suction Cups & Normal Force

In summary: The suction cups are pulling the window down. The normal force is provided by the jambs. Fn is the force that opposes the suction cups. It is located on the left side if you looked at the window from the outside.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

Draw the forces on a window

The scenario is that I have 3 suction cups on the window to tale it down. And i don't know where the "normalforce" is. I forgot to draw the force of the suction cups

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

z8jtzqH.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The suction cups must be located somewhere. Also, I find it hard to believe the Fn and Ff working lines in your sketch. Please elaborate ...

Does Fn hav to be opposite of Fg?

Opposite meaning working on the left pane if the other is working on the right pane ? Or do they grab along the same line ? Or are there more than one friction forces aat work ?

From the picture I can't see if the window is in static equilibrium or if it's crashing down with thunderous speed (probably the former :smile:)

It is not supposed to move. If I look out of my bedroom window there is a downward force (Fg) and a upward force which is the friction. The window has suction cups om the outside to try to remove the window. So there is also a force outside cus someones is pulling. So i am wondering where Fn is. It must be opposite of the pulling force right?

Sorry to have still more questions, but I can't form a complete picture yet:

which way is the someone outside pulling ? Can you post a more complete picture ? Is it sensible to also draw a side view, or are all forces verical ?

http://imgur.com/a/p9SU3
http://imgur.com/a/p9SU3

Here are the pictures. Fg is down and the friction force is up. Outside there are three things stuck on thw window so they can pull it out. So i am wondering where Fn is

Found a window picture:

window1-detail.jpg

If you pull on the suction cups in an outward direction, that is a horizontal force. The jambs provide the normal force . So a side view is indicated !

Friction force is up, you say. How do you know ? And is it offsetting Fg completely ?

1. What is the purpose of using suction cups on a window?

Suction cups are used to secure an object, such as a window, to a surface through the use of negative pressure. This creates a strong hold, allowing the object to stay in place without the need for adhesives or drilling.

2. How many suction cups are typically used on a window?

It is recommended to use three suction cups on a window to evenly distribute the weight of the window and provide stability. Two suction cups may not provide enough support, while four or more may create unnecessary stress on the window.

3. What is the normal force on a window with three suction cups?

The normal force on a window with three suction cups is equal to the weight of the window. This force is perpendicular to the surface of the window and is necessary to counteract the weight of the window and keep it in place.

4. How do different surface materials affect the strength of suction cups on a window?

The strength of suction cups on a window can vary depending on the surface material. Smooth, non-porous surfaces, such as glass, provide the best hold for suction cups. Rough or porous surfaces, such as wood or brick, may not provide enough suction for the cups to hold securely.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using suction cups on a window?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the suction cups are properly attached and have a secure hold on the window. It is also recommended to periodically check the suction cups for any signs of wear or damage, and to avoid placing heavy or fragile objects on the window held by suction cups.