1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on abseiling rock climber: find vertical reaction force

1. Sep 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can someone please help me with this A level physics question on Mechanics.
    Help will be appreciated. The picture of question is attached. :D
    Thank you

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    sin20x590=201.79N or cos70x590=201.79N

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF. In order for us to help, you need to make a serious attempt to solve the problem yourself. How far can you get yourself?

4. Sep 27, 2016 #3
    Yes i have made a serious attempt. In my attempt, i saw that the reaction force is equal to the weight of the person. Therefore the component of weight should be equal to vertical component of the reaction force. So, the answers came to Cos(70)x590 which equals 202N to 3 S.F but i believe i may be incorrect so i posted this thread to ask for help and see what the correct answers is.I would appreciate it if someone checked if i am correct or not.

5. Sep 27, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why would the reaction force be equal to the weight of the climber?

6. Sep 27, 2016 #5
    I'm not sure but doesnt the vertical vector Fr be equal to all the other vertical vector(in the opposite direction off course)
    Freactiony= Fmass + Ftensiony

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted