How do I calculate the missing force on an aircraft?

In summary: Adding vectors is similar to adding displacements. If you walk 6m "down" and 10 m forwards, how far have you walked in total? Hint: You'd use the Pythagorean theorem to figure it out.
justice25

Homework Statement

This was from a recent paper we did in class, I've tried to re-create the drawing as best I can.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/378/14264945.jpg

The options were (I think)

a) 10n
b) 6n
c) 4n
d) 2n

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to work out the missing force

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to draw a vector diagram? None of the choices are correct because the answer has to be greater than 10 N (the 6 N can't have no effect).

Sorry, I'm not sure how to do that, had a look in goggle and some textbooks, but got nothing simple. I'm 11, and this is beyond the scope of my current course at school, this was off a paper from ground school (flight school), I'm trying to get to grips with it in my spare time to aid my ambition of becoming a pilot.

If you could help me out I'd appreciate it, thanks for your time.

so what you are looking here is

Force of gravity pointing downwards, that's your 6n and your ten Newtons is your force air resistance. now you have to find the vector for you which is your x. do you know about vectors at all?

Centurion1 said:
Force of gravity pointing downwards, that's your 6n and your ten Newtons is your force air resistance. now you have to find the vector for you which is your x. do you know about vectors at all?

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. Can 6N reasonably be gravity? Is the 10N even in the right direction to be air resistance?

justice: adding vectors (which is what forces are) is similar to adding displacements. If you walk 6m "down" and 10 m forwards, how far have you walked in total? Hint: You'd use the Pythagorean theorem to figure it out. Whatever number you get is the answer to the question (the only thing that's different is the name of the unit).

maybe I am wrong but isn't the 6n the Net force in the y direction? so it involves the upwards force and gravity

and isn't the only force the plane will be encountering in the 10n direction air resistance? i assume trhe plane is going forwards. :)
pythagorean is c^2= a^2 + b^2 by the way

if you look at it like a triangle then you are trying to find the hypotenuse i believe.

Edit: oh wow I am stupid. of course its not air resistance. air resistance points in the opposite direction. your 10n is your net force of the plane in the x direction. lol I am an idiot.

So the answer would 10^2 + 6^2 = 136

and then find the square root of 136? This would come out to a decimal though and I'm sure there was no answer with a decimal.

Can anyone confirm the above method is correct?

1. What are the three main forces acting on an aircraft during flight?

The three main forces acting on an aircraft during flight are lift, weight, and thrust. Lift is the force that opposes the weight of the aircraft and allows it to stay in the air. Weight is the downward force caused by gravity and the mass of the aircraft. Thrust is the force produced by the aircraft's engines that propels it forward.

2. How does the shape of an aircraft's wings affect the forces acting on it?

The shape of an aircraft's wings, specifically the airfoil shape, plays a critical role in the generation of lift. The curved shape of the wings creates a pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces, resulting in an upward force that is greater than the downward force of weight.

3. What is the relationship between airspeed and lift?

The relationship between airspeed and lift is directly proportional. As the airspeed of an aircraft increases, the amount of lift generated also increases. This is because a higher airspeed results in a larger difference in air pressure between the upper and lower surfaces of the wings, creating more lift.

4. How do forces on an aircraft change during takeoff and landing?

During takeoff, the thrust force from the engines is increased to overcome the weight of the aircraft and provide enough lift for it to become airborne. During landing, the thrust force is decreased and the lift force is gradually reduced to allow the aircraft to descend and touch down on the runway.

5. What is the role of the horizontal stabilizer in an aircraft's flight?

The horizontal stabilizer, also known as the tailplane, helps to stabilize the aircraft during flight. It produces a downward force called tail downforce, which counteracts the nose-up pitching movement caused by the lift force on the wings. This allows the aircraft to maintain a steady and level flight path.