1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on an Incline

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    Question:
    A block of mass m = 2.00 kg is released from rest at h = 0.600 m from the surface of a table, at the top of a θ = 35.0° incline as shown below. The frictionless incline is fixed on a table of height H = 2.00 m.
    How far from the table will the block hit the floor?

So basically a block falls from a ramp on top of a table and I'm supposed to figure out how far the block falls from the edge of the ramp (which is on the edge of the table).
    I would use a kinematics equation but I have another unknown besides the distance.
    I figured out the final velocity at the edge of the ramp and the length of the hypotenuse of the ramp and the acceleration during the ramp time but I don't know anything about the ramp time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF tyro008,

You made a good start by determining the velocity of the block at the point of leaving the ramp. Now try splitting the velocity of the block into vertical and horizontal components and see what you can do from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?