Resultant Force of Two Horses Pulling Barge: 1.25 x 103N

In summary, two horses with a force of 720N each are pulling a barge along a narrow stream. The ropes from the horses meet at a common point on the front of the barge at a 60 degree angle. The resultant force exerted by the two horses is 1.25 x 103N.
reganw
Two horses on opposite sides of a narrow stream are pulling a barge along the stream. Each horse pulls with a force of 720N. The ropes from the horses meet at a common point on the front of the barge. What is the resultant force exerted by the two horses if the angle between the rope is 60o?

ANS= 1.25 x 103N (I also don't understand why the answer is written like this..)

I tried breaking it up into components but it didn't work out.. any advice would be great!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
reganw said:
ANS= 1.25 x 103N (I also don't understand why the answer is written like this..)
Is the result perhaps [tex]1,25*10^{3}[/tex]

isn't 1247.1N?

niwire said:
isn't 1247.1N?

Yes, the same result I get, but it's probably rounded to 1250, i.e. 1,25*10^3.

Ohhh okay, I didn't think of that, thank you all for your help!

You didn't get an answer yet?

Shukie said:
You didn't get an answer yet?

Yes, the previous posts helped solve it. I had the answer to start with but because of how the answer key showed the answer I didn't think mine was right.

What is the resultant force of two horses pulling a barge with a force of 1.25 x 103N?

The resultant force, also known as the net force, is the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on an object. In this case, the resultant force would be 1.25 x 103N, which is the combined force of the two horses pulling the barge.

How is the resultant force calculated in this scenario?

To calculate the resultant force, we need to use vector addition. This involves breaking down the forces into their horizontal and vertical components, adding these components together, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

What factors can affect the resultant force in this situation?

The resultant force can be affected by various factors such as the strength and direction of the individual forces applied by the horses, the weight and mass of the barge, and any external forces such as wind or water resistance.

What happens if one horse exerts a greater force than the other?

If one horse exerts a greater force than the other, the resultant force will be in the direction of the stronger force. This is because the stronger force will have a greater influence on the direction and magnitude of the resultant force.

Why is it important to consider the resultant force in this scenario?

The resultant force is important to consider because it determines the overall movement and acceleration of the barge. If the resultant force is greater than the resistance forces (e.g. friction, water resistance), then the barge will accelerate in the direction of the resultant force. Understanding the resultant force can also help in optimizing the pulling force of the horses and maximizing efficiency.