1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces on bar

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The 2 kg rod AB and the 3kg rod BC are connected as shown to a disk that is made to rotate in a vertical plane at a constant angular velocity of 6 rad/s clockwise. For the position shown, determine the forces exerted at A and B on rod AB.

2. Relevant equations
    summation of forces
    mass moment of inertia
    relative velocites and accelerations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I solved the accelerations and angular accelerations correctly but at this point I'm unclear as to what to do next.
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks good so far!

You accidentally set the wrong component to zero in the line for a_A, but you fixed it in the next line. Make sure you correct that line too!

Now that you have a_A and a_B, throw away everything except rod AB. You can now describe the dynamics of rod AB in terms of a center of mass acceleration (=(a_A+a_B)/2) and an angular acceleration about the center (=(a_A-a_B)/L). This can be seen as coming from a pure force (acting at the center) and a pure couple (torque about the center). From here, finding the forces at A and B is just a matter of adding and subtracting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?