What is the Force on the Hindges of a Door?

• Thread starter diegocas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, we have a door with mass M, height h, and width b held by two hinges at distances d from the lower and upper edges. By assuming that the weight of the door is applied at its geometric center and considering the sum of forces and torques, we can determine that the force on each hinge is half of the weight of the door, or Mg/2. However, in certain installation scenarios, this assumption may not hold true.
diegocas

Homework Statement

A door of mass [tex] M [/tex], height [tex] h [/tex] and width [tex] b [/tex] is held by two hindges a distance [tex] d [/tex] from the lower and upper edges of the door. What is the force on the hindges?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We may assume the weight of the door ([tex] M\vec{g} [/tex]) is applied in the geometric center of the door. Since the sum of all the forces on the door must be zero, the horizontal components of the forces on the hindges must be opposite and the vertical components must add to [tex] Mg [/tex].

If we compute the torques with respect to the lower hindge, we get that the torque of the force on the other hindge is [tex] F_x (h-2d) [/tex]. On the other hand, the torque of the weight of the door is [tex] Mg\frac{b}{2} [/tex]. Since these two torques must compensate, we get [tex] F_x = \frac{1}{2}Mg \frac{b}{h-2d} [/tex].

Now to the vertical components. They must add to [tex] Mg [/tex]. However, I don't seem to find any way to determine each one of the forces! Am I overlooking something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
diegocas said:
Now to the vertical components. They must add to [tex] Mg [/tex]. However, I don't seem to find any way to determine each one of the forces! Am I overlooking something?

Thanks!
Not really,the problem is statically indeterminate. If the door is installed properly, each hinge should vertically carry half the weight of the door. But if it were installed say with the lower hinge supporting all the weight before the upper hinge was fully installed , then the upper hinge might carry no vertical load. The usual assumption is that the vertical force on each hinge is Mg/2.

Thanks, it is much clearer now.

And sorry for my spelling! "hindges" looked odd to me, but I didn't know why.

1. What are the different types of forces acting on the hinges of a door?

There are three main types of forces that act on the hinges of a door: shear force, axial force, and moment. Shear force is the force that is parallel to the surface of the hinge, axial force is the force that is perpendicular to the surface of the hinge, and moment is the force that creates a turning effect on the hinge.

2. How does the weight of the door affect the forces on the hinges?

The weight of the door creates a downward force, known as the gravitational force, that acts on the hinges. This gravitational force can increase the shear force and moment on the hinges, causing them to wear down over time.

3. What are the factors that can impact the strength of the hinges?

The strength of the hinges can be impacted by several factors, including the material of the hinges, the size and weight of the door, the frequency of use, and the installation method. It is important to choose hinges that are strong enough to handle the weight and usage of the door.

4. How can I determine the maximum load capacity of the hinges?

The maximum load capacity of the hinges can be determined by conducting a stress analysis. This involves calculating the forces and moments acting on the hinges and comparing them to the strength and load-bearing capacity of the hinges. It is recommended to consult with a structural engineer for an accurate analysis.

5. What are the signs that the hinges may need to be replaced?

Some signs that the hinges may need to be replaced include squeaking or sticking when opening or closing the door, visible wear or damage on the hinges, and difficulty in keeping the door open or closed. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the hinges to ensure the safety and functionality of the door.