Forces on Hinges HW Statement: F&Tau Calculation

In summary, the forces on the hinges are as follows: -F_{net} = 0-\tau_{net} = 0-\tau = Fd\sin(\theta)
IMGOOD

Homework Statement

A door 2.30 m high and 1.30m wide, has a mass of 13.0 kg. A hinge 0.40 m from the top and another hinge 0.40 m from the bottom each support half the door's weight. Assume that the center of gravity is at the geometrical center of the door, and determine the horizontal and vertical force components exerted by each hinge on the door.

Homework Equations

[tex] F_{net} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\tau_{net} =0 [/tex]
[tex]\tau = Fd\sin(\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I stared at the problem for a long while but I don't even know how I should get started on this. Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
IMGOOD said:

Homework Statement

A door 2.30 m high and 1.30m wide, has a mass of 13.0 kg. A hinge 0.40 m from the top and another hinge 0.40 m from the bottom each support half the door's weight. Assume that the center of gravity is at the geometrical center of the door, and determine the horizontal and vertical force components exerted by each hinge on the door.

Homework Equations

[tex] F_{net} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\tau_{net} =0 [/tex]
[tex]\tau = Fd\sin(\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I stared at the problem for a long while but I don't even know how I should get started on this. Any hints would be appreciated.
Locate the center of gravity of the door, calculate its weight, and you may apply all of its weight vertically through that point. Now sum torques about the lower hinge, and see what you get, noting that there is a vertical and horizonatl force at each hinge acting on the door.

So, is this correct or not?

If you imagine a door that is located to the left of the hinges then
1) There are two forces on the lower hinge, one pointing directly to the left and the other pointing directly upwards.
2) There are also two forces on the upper hinge, one is pointing directly to the right, and the other pointing directly upwards.

Yes those are the 4 forces on the hinges.

BTW it doesn't matter if you guess wrong (e.g. left or right in this question) which direction a force acts in. If the direction is wrong the magnitude will just come out as a negative number.

1. What is the purpose of calculating forces on hinges in this homework?

The purpose of calculating forces on hinges in this homework is to understand the mechanical forces acting on a hinged structure. This can help in designing and analyzing structures such as doors, cabinets, and other hinged objects.

2. How do you calculate the force on a hinge?

The force on a hinge can be calculated using the formula F = T x L, where F is the force, T is the torque applied, and L is the length of the lever arm. The torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied perpendicular to the lever arm by the distance from the hinge.

3. What is the difference between tension and torque?

Tension is the pulling force applied to an object in a straight line, while torque is the twisting force applied to an object around a pivot point. In the context of hinges, tension refers to the force applied to the door or object, while torque refers to the force applied to the hinge itself.

4. How do you determine the direction of the force on a hinge?

The direction of the force on a hinge is determined by the direction of the torque. If the torque is clockwise, the force on the hinge will be in the opposite direction, and vice versa. This can also be determined by the direction of the applied force and the location of the hinge.

5. Can you explain the concept of moment in relation to forces on hinges?

Moment is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause an object to rotate around a specific point or axis. In the context of forces on hinges, moment is important in determining the stability and strength of the hinge when a force is applied. The greater the moment, the stronger the hinge needs to be to withstand the force.