Designing Electric Scooter: Forces on Handlebar

In summary, the conversation was about designing an electric scooter and determining the weight distribution on the handlebar. The participants discussed the similarities between stance 1 and braking, and stance 2 and acceleration. They also mentioned the need for the handlebar to be able to support the rider's weight plus a safety factor. The conversation concluded with a link to information on maximum push force that a person can apply.
RKD89
Hi,

I am trying to design an electric scooter, in a lot of ways similar to link below:
http://www.letskickscoot.com/home/articles/scooter_stance.cfmFor an all electric vehicle , I am guessing stance 1 would be similar to braking, and stance 2 would be for an accelerating vehicle's frame of reference.

I am trying to figure out what percentage of body weight goes onto the handle. Assuming the CG is approx the same height as the handle holding position? Can anyone help me understand the forces and make an FBD, I will post my FBD soon.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For design purposes I would assume that the handlebar needs to be able to support the person's entire weight plus some safety factor, say maybe 20%. This would ensure that even in the worst case of a person leaning on the bars they would not be damaged.

Oh, I never thought of that

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/push1.html

I just plucked some data from above link. As in max push force a person can apply is 225N/23kgf. If I consider a persons weight, that will be easily 80-100 kgs, plus 20% as you suggested.

Thank you for the suggestion.

1. What forces act on the handlebar of an electric scooter?

The main forces that act on the handlebar of an electric scooter are the rider's weight, the force of gravity, and the force of the scooter's acceleration or deceleration.

2. How does the design of the handlebar impact the stability of an electric scooter?

The design of the handlebar plays a crucial role in the stability of an electric scooter. A well-designed handlebar should provide a comfortable grip for the rider and also be strong enough to withstand the forces acting on it during use. If the handlebar is poorly designed, it can lead to instability and increase the risk of accidents.

3. How do you determine the ideal height and angle for the handlebar of an electric scooter?

The ideal height and angle for the handlebar of an electric scooter will vary depending on the rider's height and riding style. Generally, the handlebar should be at a comfortable height and angle that allows the rider to maintain a balanced and upright position while riding. This can be determined through testing and adjusting the handlebar based on the rider's feedback.

4. What materials are commonly used in the handlebar of an electric scooter?

The handlebar of an electric scooter is typically made of lightweight and durable materials such as aluminum or carbon fiber. These materials are strong enough to withstand the forces acting on the handlebar while also being lightweight enough to not add excessive weight to the scooter.

5. How do you ensure the handlebar is safe and secure for the rider?

To ensure the handlebar is safe and secure for the rider, it is important to conduct thorough testing and quality control measures during the manufacturing process. This includes checking the strength and stability of the handlebar, as well as ensuring all components are properly attached and secure. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to identify and address any potential issues that may arise.