Forces on Static Shopping Cart

• Thread starter muna
  • Start date
muna
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hey guys, help me out a bit here. I want to form 2d static equilibrium equations for a shopping cart. This is for an assignment. I'm kind of confused about the support reactions. I'm not sure how I should analyze the basket. I was going with A as a fixed support (see image) since I'm guessing the weight fw and load fl will create moments there but I don't know if that makes sense since the whole thing seems like a fixed frame but I'm not sure if I should analyze it as a frame. I know for sure D and E would be have one reaction force each as they are roller supports. Also I don't know if a force should be acting from C to A. I would really appreciate some help here because there is just a lot I don't understand about these topics.
Screenshot 2021-11-21 134203.png

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
It's up to you to decide what components to divide it into. Once you have done that you can consider the forces acting on each component, but ignore forces acting within them.

muna
It's up to you to decide what components to divide it into. Once you have done that you can consider the forces acting on each component, but ignore forces acting within them.
Okay so I can just look at A as a fixed support? And should I include a force from C to A?

berkeman
Mentor
Also I don't know if a force should be acting from C to A.
When you say "static equilibrium", do you mean there are no other forces acting on the cart except for its own weight?

muna
When you say "static equilibrium", do you mean there are no other forces acting on the cart except for its own weight?
Yes, and a load which acts at the same point as its weight. Okay I see what you are saying. If I include a force there I would probably be an internal force. But would you happen to know if the trolley's basket should be looked at as a fixed support?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Okay so I can just look at A as a fixed support? And should I include a force from C to A?
As I posted, first decide which components to divide it into. I can’t answer that question until you have done that.

Lnewqban
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If you weld a column between points B and E, how that changes the 2d static equilibrium equation (for the whole cart, I guess) that you want to form?

Suggested for: Forces on Static Shopping Cart

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies