Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Forces (Particle Physics)

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    justify which interactions is involved in each of the following:

[itex]\pi^0 \rightarrow \gamma \gamma[/itex]
    [itex]\pi^+ \rightarrow \mu^+ \nu_\mu[/itex]
    [itex]\pi^- p \rightarrow \triangle (1232) \rightarrow \pi^0 n[/itex]
    [itex]K^0 \rightarrow \pi^+ \pi^-[/itex]
    ok the first one i ruled out strong force since particles on right dont have colour charge. i ruled out weak netural currecnt (Z boson) interaction since fermion flavour isn't conserved. so its between weak charged current ( [itex]W^{\pm}[/itex] boson) or electromagnetic). i think it's probably W boson since photons don't have charge so you can't have a vertex on the Feynman diagram with three photons meeting. is this right?

for the second one, i ruled out strong force and Z boson for same reasons as above. this time, seeing as they are charged, i don't know how to decide between W boson or electromagnetic? any ideas?

i have no clue for the third one since i don't know what [itex]\triangle (1232) [/itex] is.

the fourth one im not sure about either but i have the feeling its a weak interaction. posisbly a W boson since the fermion flavour does change. but im not sure whether its W+ or W- or how to rule out the strong and electromagnetic interactions.

thanks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted