1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces (Particle Physics)

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    justify which interactions is involved in each of the following:

[itex]\pi^0 \rightarrow \gamma \gamma[/itex]
    [itex]\pi^+ \rightarrow \mu^+ \nu_\mu[/itex]
    [itex]\pi^- p \rightarrow \triangle (1232) \rightarrow \pi^0 n[/itex]
    [itex]K^0 \rightarrow \pi^+ \pi^-[/itex]
    ok the first one i ruled out strong force since particles on right dont have colour charge. i ruled out weak netural currecnt (Z boson) interaction since fermion flavour isn't conserved. so its between weak charged current ( [itex]W^{\pm}[/itex] boson) or electromagnetic). i think it's probably W boson since photons don't have charge so you can't have a vertex on the Feynman diagram with three photons meeting. is this right?

for the second one, i ruled out strong force and Z boson for same reasons as above. this time, seeing as they are charged, i don't know how to decide between W boson or electromagnetic? any ideas?

i have no clue for the third one since i don't know what [itex]\triangle (1232) [/itex] is.

the fourth one im not sure about either but i have the feeling its a weak interaction. posisbly a W boson since the fermion flavour does change. but im not sure whether its W+ or W- or how to rule out the strong and electromagnetic interactions.

thanks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?