Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Forces Test Redo

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    Our professor is letting us redo the questions we missed on our exam for half-credit because the averages for his classes were 50, 60, and 70. I have a couple of q's I am needing help with, please.

What is the acceleration of a 1.8 kg physics book sliding down a 36 degree incline if the coefficient of kinetic friction, uk = 0.452?

What I have so far is Fnetx = Fg sin x (theta) - Ffk. But since Ffk is = uk x Fn, how do I find Fn? Would it be equal to Fg x cos (theta)?

Am I headed in the right direction at all?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Right. You are almost there.

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    Okay... so I got Fnetx = 3.92 N. would Fnety = 0? How would I find acceleration from that? Completely lost after this. Thanks much.

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

I don't know how you could be, after writing down the correct eqn...

If total F is along the plane downward, then
    F = component of gravity along plane - frictional force
    = mgsin(theta) - uk*mgcos(theta).

6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    That is how i got the 3.92 N. So that is all?

7. Mar 2, 2008 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Why, would you have liked it to be very difficult?

The mass will cancel out, so write the eqn in symbols like I have done. That'll make it even easier and neater.

Cheers.

8. Mar 2, 2008 #7
    I just knew there had to be something else to finding the acceleration is all. Thanks much for the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook